
I've been lucky enough to be a part of a co-op preschool, consisting of 10 Moms of 4- 5 year-olds. We each take turns teaching two weeks out of our 10 week summer session. Francophile that I am, I, of course had to volunteer to teach French culture on Bastille Day. I was so glad to partner with Ruth, a veteran co-oper, fellow Francophile, and terrific Mom. I was also so glad to have the help of her daughters, Lizzy and Zoe. Here's what we did!
We had the kids make French flags, and in a last-minute burst of inspiration, we marched, parade-style to "La Marseillaise" (The French National Anthem).
Next, I talked a bit about France, showed mission pictures, and read books about children who had visited there. After that we split into two groups. One group, made eclairs
The kids got to make the dough, pipe it on the tray, fill it with cream, and pour chocolate sauce on it. The other group painted "lampions." In France, the children march through the streets with paper lanterns. We made them "votive-style" instead, and have enjoyed using it as a centerpiece for meals. Thanks to Anne-Claire for sending me the link.
After everyone had a turn doing both activities, I taught some French songs and actions. The best part, was probably eating the eclairs. Thanks to Ruth, our patissiere, They were delicious!!

When I returned home, I hung our French flag. I have an American flag, and Graton has a French one. I always wanted to display them, but lacked a means to do so. Graton bought me a flagpole as a gift one year, but we aren't allowed to attach it to our balcony. So this year, he designed and built a mounting bracket that meets regulations. Within 10 days, I got to display the flags of both of the countries I love.

1 comment:
wow...you're so creative. How did you come to find this preschool? Is it university housing students?
Post a Comment