Thursday, October 02, 2008

My Homeschooling Report Card



After lots of reading and discussion with other homeschooling Moms, I decided to try my hand. There were lots of reasons why this seemed like a pretty risk-free proposition. Audrey is still 4, and would be very young for kindergarten, in fact, too young for many states. However, she's bright and craves intellectual stimulation. Also, we'll be moving next year, so no need to put down roots in a particular school,

Luckily, I found an awesome public charter school called "The Learning Choice Academy." They provide curriculum, field trips and assemblies, and enrichment classes. All of their students are homeschooled, but are required to meet once a month with their educational partner, a credentialed teacher.

Here's how it's going so far:

Week One: Homeschooling Honeymoon: A-

The curriculum we ordered hadn't arrived, but our educational partner sent us home with a big packet of worksheets. Audrey was thrilled to be finally going to school, and eager to do the worksheets. We loved learning about lifecycles of frogs, bugs, and butterflies, and enjoyed using the internet together to enrich our learning. We watched lots of you tube videos of butterflies emerging from their chrysallis, and found a fun online game called, "Name that Bug."

Week Two: Worksheet Wars: D

The novelty of schooling dimmed, and I seemed to be nagging a reluctant scholar, who preferred watching Pippi Longstocking movies. I let my neurosis perfectionism get out of control, and was eager to do every worksheet perfectly, all "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed, so we had a lovely portfolio to show the teacher. I kept Graton up late one night as I tearfully related my woes and realized that this was NOT why I was homeschooling. I wanted to give Audrey the gift of academic freedom, to develop a thirst for learning without the superficial constraints and one-size-fits-all philosophy of public schools. I wanted us to experience the joy of discovery, and to learn things within context, and I was doing the exact opposite.

My wonderful husband listened and said the magic words, "You don't have to homeschool." That means a lot, as I know how much he wants his children to be homeschooled, so they can follow their educational passions, with a freedom that he feels he's just finally getting in pursueing his own research. He suggested I do things my own way, and just keep a log of our activities to show the school.

Week Three: Doing it my way: A

I abandoned the worksheets, and started to engage Audrey in learning about things that interested her. We were reading "Mr. Popper's Penguins" so we learned about Anartica, penguins, the food chain, etc.. She drew and wrote about what we were learning in her notebook. The curriculum arrived, and we excitedly explored our new materials.

Week Four and beyond: Happy Homeschoolers: A+

It's been a rocky road. Between a cold/sinus infection that lasted over two weeks, to a husband who is working nights and weekends, I've wondered if I had made the right decision. How wonderful it would be to have my days to myself!! Yet, I love the bonding and fun we've had learning together. We've really enjoyed the curriculum. Audrey's favorite is "Handwriting without Tears" which has mitigated our battles about the correct way to make letters. "The Young Scientists Club" has fun science kits, and "Schiller Math" uses music and movement to reinforce mathematical concepts.

I'm learning that there are good days and bad days. Somedays Audrey is tired, and not in the mood, so I try not to push it. Some days she wants to do school for longer than I do. When I was sick, I lay on the couch alot, and tried to convince her to watch movies all day, but to my surprise and delight (sort of), she'd eventually get sick of the movie and want to do school. I've tried to schedule a consistent learning time in the mornings, and shoot for about an hour, but I'm learning not to be neurotic about it. After all, she's four. I want to gift her with time to fully enjoy her childhood. The times I feel overwhelmed or discouraged, are the times she says, "I can't wait to do school tomorrow!" and I resist telling her it's Saturday, and I need a break. Or she says how she loves doing school with me. That seems to make up for all the times, she balks at my gentle corrections, accusing me of always "bossing" her.

Before I went on a mission, I felt that every woman should serve one. When I returned, I felt differently. A mission is such an emotionally, physically, exhausting experience. The only way to survive it is to REALLY want it, and give your heart and soul. I feel that way now about homeschooling. Not that everyone can't do it, but that not everyone wants it that bad. And I'm not even sure about my own long term committment or plans. For now I'm taking it one day at a time, and treasuring every moment, every time I get to witness the lightbulb turn on. I'm relishing the gift Audrey is giving me, of allowing me to still be the most dominant influence in her life in a very time-intensive, but rewarding way.

Today she began her one-day-a-week enrichment class at TLC. She studied oceans, in her core class, petted doves and dogs in "animal science," did summersaults in "circus" and painted with sticks in "art." Alyssa slept for over three hours, and I relished the freedom of a day to myself. But now that my "P-day" is over, I'm looking forward to school tomorrow. And I'm really liking being her teacher.


(Photos of Audrey making paper for our recycling unit).

12 comments:

novidiac said...

Try it with FOUR!!

No seriously.. RELAX! you are doing fine... and the toughest part I believe is the first 3 months figuring out each other in a new relationship.

I also believe the biggest hurdle is reading... Once they can read... they won't stop and ALL the other subjects are easier to handle and less dependent on you! Are you enjoying the 100 easy reading lessons?... Duncan is on lesson 10 and loves it! Amber taught both her boys in 4 months with the program and they're both amazing readers!

novidiac said...

I suppose I have lots to say!!..

But remember that you DO know best... use any curriculum as a guideline not a hard and fast must do it all and their way... Do it so it suits you and Audrey!

We LOVE our curriculum... but we still make it work for us!

Valerie said...

I looked at the 100 lessons book once, and it looked complicated. I'll have to give it another try. We just got our reading program which is "Reading A-Z" so tomorrow, I'll see how we like it.

I have NO idea how you do it with four. (Well, actually I sort of do, since you shared with me your amazing schedule. Phew!)

Valerie said...

Good advice. I'm always tempted to be neurotic about curriculum, but I do find if I use it as a jumping off point, it's so much more fun.

Linn said...

Good for you Valerie! I am with you and happen to think CA has strange rules as far as when kids can start school. I got a lot of opposition, but did not send my first two the year they were "supposed" to go to school. They stayed home and were kids for one more year. And I have NEVER regretted the decision for one second. I figured if we lived in any other state, they would not be in Kindergarten when they were four. So I didn't send them. My best decision ever! Good luck with it all!

Emily Joy said...

It sounds like everything is going well. I need to stop by and have you show me some things soon. The charter school sounds like a nice balance with one day a week of "prep time." I think an hour a day sounds just about perfect for a four-year-old.

Anne said...

Sounds fun and stressful...like parenting as a whole. :)

emily said...

I loved your Prop 8 comment I thought you did a great job explaining the points! Good luck with home schooling. I hope you are able to find a balance that you both can enjoy.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Wow! Keep up the good work! It will pay off.

kim said...

Valerie, I loved reading this--we're debating the same thing for kindergarten next year with Savannah--I can't imagine sending her off to school from 9 to 4 everyday, and I love the idea of them being able to learn about the things they love and as they come up, rather than forcing a one-size-fits-all curriculum on them.

I also really enjoyed your comments on Prop 8. We're not in CA, so I haven't been very invovled, but I'll admit I was pretty upset at first by everything I'd heard. But I have also done something thinking and researching about it and I think you summed things up very well. Thanks for that!

~Kim

janet said...

I agree with Nova that after they start reading, it becomes much easier (and more complicated!)

Homeschooling can be a huge headache, but so can parenting. Is it worth it, absolutely.

I loved your views on serving a mission and how in order to make it WORTH the time and effort, you have to want it. It gives me hope because even though I am not the best homeschooling mom, I really WANT to do it.. and that makes the experience enjoyable (but still very tiring!)

Can I just say how happy I am that we can keep in touch this way? It's so nice to take a peek into your life and have "discussions" such as these!

Whitney said...

Hi! This is Whintey from the NieNie post. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope you don't mind if I stop by yours! Thanks for your comment, it was very refreshing to hear! That's so neat that you are doing homeschooling! Good luck!