Thursday, February 05, 2009

In Case you Missed it...

There's a new virus going around this winter. But, not the kind that make you ill. (Well, that's debatable).

I'm referring to the facebook fad where you make a list of 25 things about yourself, then send them to 25 friends, encouraging them to do the same. When I first started getting these lists, I was highly annoyed. Then I actually took the time to read them, and enjoyed them so much, I decided to participate.

So in case you missed it on facebook, here's my attempt to "spread the love" (or the bug, you decide).

1) My brother says I've become "granola" since coming to San Diego I don't know what he's talking about.

2) I love to work in my organic garden, although I'm still not very good at it yet.

3) I enjoy making simple, healthy dishes, especially homemade soups with lots of veggies.

4) I love my yoga class, although I'm not very flexible. After 3 years, I still can't touch my toes.

5) I don't recycle. See! How granola is that?

6) I wish I recycled. I always mean to. I start a trash bag full of recyclables, and pretty soon everyone has thrown trash in it, and it goes out with the regular trash.

7) I'm going to start doing some serious recycling, as soon as I live somewhere, that I don't have to hike 5 miles to the nearest recycling bin.

8) Okay, so it's not 5 miles, but it does entail a walk, protesting children, a wagon, and a busy parking lot.

9) I don't like granola. It has too much sugar in it. I prefer steel-cut oats.

10) I love water aerobics. It's easy on the body, and fun in the sun!

11) Being a bit of a feminist at heart, it took a leap of faith for me to have kids and be a stay-at-home Mom.

12) I worried that I'd feel unfulfilled with kids and housework,and would miss having a career.

13) I didn't realize how deeply I'd fall in love with my kids, and how fun it is to create a fulfilling life, free of professors and bosses.

14) I do miss my career, perhaps I'll go back to it someday. But I believe I'm doing the most important work on earth.

15) I don't regret my decision, even though we owe a bazillion dollars in student loans.

16) I chuckle when people talk about being able to "afford to stay home" with their kids. Who can afford it? We can't.

17) I've struggled with being too permissive as a parent, but am learning to set rules and consequences.

18) Nothing is more bonding, or gives more material for inside jokes, than parenting with your best friend.

19) I can't believe I'm now one of those wierdo homeshooling parents. Turns out, I love it! And I love "The Learning Choice Academy", which is the public charter school that we homeschool through. They offer fun classes, fieldtrips, and curriculum support.

20) I love that my daughter loves to learn and has freedom to explore her interests and guide her learning.

21) I didn't vote for President Obama, because I disagree with his political ideology. I think he'll be great for foreign relations, however. My friends in France, love him.

22) I think liberals and conservatives are more alike than we care to admit. We both want good health care, education, jobs, housing, etc.. for everyone. We just disagree in the methods of doing so.

23) Although I've never had an alcoholic beverage, I've been pulled over twice on suspicion of drunk driving.

24) I love to read, but can't commit to one book at a time. Currently, I'm reading, "Yearning for the living God: Reflections from the Life of F. Enzio Busche," "Are Mormons Christians?," and "Rescuers: Portraits of Moral Courage in the Holocaust."

25) My greatest hero is my Savior, Jesus Christ. I strive to better follow his example, each day.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Thanks for spreading the love. I broke up with facebook, so now I know what I've missed. Loved your 25.

janet said...

this is the first list of 25 I have read... the virus hasn't hit me yet!

Loved yours and I think I see a bit of granola in you!

novidiac said...

I couldn't agree with you more Valerie! I never thought I was the granola type but I totally fit the bill now!

Garden, Yoga, Home-school, Love being at home with my kids, Constantly reading, Buy used whenever possible, Love Freecycle and Craigslist, I overly recycle and have petitioned the city to recycle more items!, apparently I'm civic minded now (never thought that would happen -- fought for crosswalks and safety patrols), I drive a VW Van!(that should end it), but the best is..... I regularly MAKE home made GRANOLA!! and love it... I control the amount of sugar and can be sure that it's nut free for Duncan!

Linn said...

These were fabulous! Thanks for sharing Valerie!

Teachinfourth said...

Val...I've gotten that thing several times and have 'avoided' catching. Sorry to hear that you were taken ill though.

;)

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I'm so happy you're homeschooling.

kim said...

Love the list. And I'd love to hear more about your homeschooling adventures. We're in that decision making time and I love to see examples from people I actually know rather than the just all the books that I read.