Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Funny Valentines


Growing up, I looked forward to our family's annual Valentine's Day Treasure Hunt. My mother would cut out little hearts out of construction paper, and write clues like "Look on the piano." If we had trouble finding them, she'd use "Hot and Cold" to direct us. There were always little prizes at the end, hidden in funny locations. I still remember the year the gifts were hidden in the washing machine.

I've continued this tradition, and tried to make each clue into a poem that reminds us of things we did together as a family over the year. Activities we were into, hobbies we developed, etc.. I've kept all of the clues in a special journal, and make notes about what the clues meant, so I'll remember them years from now.


I was feeling lazy this year, and was tempted to let it slide, but having no good reason to do so, threw it together at the last minute. I'm so glad I did. This was the first year that Audrey really was excited about it, and I bet I'll get lots of reminders for next year.




The Clues


The Hunt



The Prize
(Stickers for Alyssa)



(Card Game for Audrey)

4 comments:

The Conductor said...

What a fun mom you are! I love it! Those things always seem like they're going to take a lot of effort, but it's refreshing to hear how much they're worth it. They really are little things, yet they create such great memories. Thanks for the reminder, Val.

P.S. -- I love that your name starts out like "Valentine!"

janet said...

I LOVE this idea and will have to remember it for next year. we do treasure hunts all the time, but a traditional Valentine one sounds like so much fun.

Corinne said...

Great idea. I actually don't like Valentine's Day--overpriced flowers, crowded restaurants, and all the treats the kids get at school. But Ethan still expects it to be a special day, so I'll have to try your idea next year.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Ahh! The washing machine? I don't remember that. One year it was the dryer!