Thursday, April 16, 2009

Adventures in Homeschooling: Young Scientist Club

We've been really fortunate to homeschool through a public charter school called, "The Learning Choice Academy." They provide curriculum, enrichment classes, field trips, and assemblies.

Audrey's loves the "Young Scientist Club." We get monthly kits with instructions and materials on several different experiments for a given topic. The school provides this for us at no cost, but it can also be purchased on the internet.

The first kit we did was on Recycling. We tore up various materials to make recycled paper.


My least favorite kit, was the "Owls" kit. It sounded like fun at first. We were given a lesson on the food chain, and were to dissect an owl pellet. Apparently owl's tend to swallow birds and rodents whole, and then they regurgitate a pellet containing the fairly intact remains. It sounded intriguing, but once I started, I wished I'd left this one to Graton. Audrey wouldn't touch it herself, but loved watching me do it.



We discovered a bird skull, several rodent skulls, and bones. We didn't quite have enough to put together a whole rodent skeleton, but it was interesting to try and figure out the skeletal structure.

What science experiments to your kids like to do? Any good websites to recommend?

6 comments:

Mollie said...

I remember dissecting an owl pellet in elementary school! How fun, and what a great program you guys are involved in.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Ooh I dissected that owl pellet in 7th grade...guess she's ahead in the game!

Unknown said...

We have a disgusting pile of compost in the backyard and I showed Adelle the mold and taught her about composting. Also, I took Adelle to work with me and had her look through the microscope at some cells.

I would love more ideas for science experiments. If you find a good website please share!

Anne said...

Sounds gross and fun all at the same time. Definitely a Dad project next time.

Teachinfourth said...

We did this one at our Expedition Red Rock program. The kids loved it...though, like Aud, several kids didn't want to touch any of it.

Linn said...

You are such a fabulous teacher! I am way impressed. And yet as impressed as I am, still grossed out by the picture. Eww!