Before today, I never knew the evils of the diaper industry.Having been an oldest child in the cloth diaper era, and having rinsed out my share of yucky diapers in the toilet, I thought that disposable diapers were the best thing since sliced bread.
But disposable diapers have something that the cloth diapers of my childhood never had: images.
Not just any images, mind you, they have images of Winnie-the-Pooh, Mickey Mouse, Elmo and other superheroes of the toddler universe.
And this is where the diaper companies sow disaster and despair.
What happens, say, if a parent happens to run out of a diaper, featuring their toddler's favorite idol? What horrors would lie in the wake of such a tragedy?
I found out today, when Alyssa ran out of her "Pooh" diapers. My normally cooperative child, resorted to much weeping and wailing, tearing off the Mickey Mouse diaper, and trying to put on a soggy, old Elmo one.
In the midst of the drama, Graton called. I described the scenario, and he responded, "There's only one thing to do."
"What's that?" I queried
"Show her a Mickey Mouse video," was the response.
He returned home shortly, and I went next door to talk to my neighbor. Alyssa, came over, and proudly pointed to her Mickey Mouse diaper.
"What's she doing?" my neighbor asked.
"She has a mouse on her diaper," my husband replied proudly. Then, as an aside, "We've been talking it up."
Problem solved, at least for the time being.
It's enough to make you want to switch back to plain, white cloth.
Almost, but not quite.

5 comments:
I know you are counting down to the days until your youngest is not diaper dependent:) It has been 5 months and counting for us and it is wonderful:)! It's coming soon and then Mickey Mouse won't cause such a stir anymore:) Cute story!
Brilliant! Way to outsmart her :)
That is an awesome way to handle it! Gotta make whatever they have seem exciting.
We do cloth, and its not as bad as I used to think it might be, although with the nasty leaky poop we had today at the library, I am really really wishing he would want to poop in the toilet so we could be done with these.
First, I thought this post was really funny.
Second, I don't know if you remember me (but I think you probably do). My husband Ryan and I taught Audrey a couple of years ago in Sunbeams. This might seem random, but we just had a baby of our own and I need to find a nanny job of some kind in order to stay home with him. i was hoping I could use you as a reference. If your okay with that, could I maybe get your e-mail and phone number?
You can send it to me at racheldmc@gmail.com
Anyway, its so fun to see Audrey and Alyssa growing up, I found your blog via Tiffany Andrews.
what a cute post!
Post a Comment