Friday, May 29, 2009

I Sissa, See Me


Whilst Audrey and I are plowing (plugging away? slogging?) through phonics readers, we have our own little walking phonics reader for our viewing enjoyment.

Alyssa has finally graduated from responding to questions about her name with a quai-ASL sign to a verbal response.

"I Sissa!" (pronounced Seessa) she proudly exclaims. She no longer accepts my terms of endearment. "Lizzie Lou," "Pixie Dust," "Precious Angel" are out.

"Sissa" is in.

She also gives clarification when we confuse her for an animal. (Ex. "Alyssa, are you a cow?" "No, I Sissa.")

Another "Sissaism" is giving us a description of her activities using a modified form of the present progressive tense. ( ex."I jumping!" "I swimming!" )



The other day she was running through the house running and screaming, and she stopped just long enough to whisper to Graton, "I running and screaming," before recommencing.

This week also marks the beginning of "why." Though I have tried to explain to her that I don't give "why" explanations before the age of three, we still have conversations like,

Sissa: "Mommy, want watch Ooo-hoo" (Curious George).
Me: "Not right now."
Sissa: "Why?"
Me: "Because I said so"
Sissa: "Oh."

We spent alot of time learning body parts which Alyssa has found very helpful.

For example: (while kicking her sister) "No toucha ma feet, Aud-y!"


Alyssa loves to sing, and has started making up her own songs. Her latest is "Puppy licka ma toes!" It'll soon go platinum.

Like all Divas, she doesn't like to share the spotlight. When we try and sing along she'll yell,
" 'Top! I singing!"



She's still Audrey's little shadow, and we often hear "My too!" which is her way of asking to be included in the fun, whether it be holding pillbugs, eating snacks, or reading in bed.


Audrey has been remarkable patient with Alyssa, and there have been less fights and more sibling bonding than I'd anticipated. Like her Daddy and I, she's been charmed by our little telegraph.

Who loves Sissa?

"My Too!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post. It totally reminds me of Adelle at that age!!

novidiac said...

I'm glad you're already planning another visit so I don't have to say... BRING THEM BACK HERE!...

We definitely need another Sissa and Audrey attack before you venture to the East!

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Noooo! You can't continue the "Because I said so" statement. That killed me!!!

Valerie said...

Ness,

I used to feel the same way about "Because I said so," so much that I refused to use it for the first 4 years I was a mother. But after countless hours of trying fruitlessly to explain reasons to small children who were incapable of understanding them, I've come to learn that "Because I said so" has it's place. Children need to learn to be obedient, even when they can't always understand the reasons right away. After all, as much as Heavenly Father has given us light and knowledge, there are still some things that we are incapable of understanding right away. Still, we can best progress by trusting that He knows what he's doing and that we will understand in time.

The Conductor said...

Val, this was so darling! What a sweet little Sissa you all have.