It all started when we checked out "Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang" from the library. Audrey decided that she was "Jemima" and Alyssa was "Jeremy." They spent many happy hours in the land of make believe. But Alyssa took this way too much to heart. The idea that she could assume another identity must have been exceptionally appealing to her, because for weeks, she would only introduce herself as "Jeremy," (which sounded more like "Jaime") and would correct anyone who attempted to address her otherwise. This created awkward social situations, at the optometrist and dentist offices, for instance.
"Jeremy" is not Alyssa's only altar ego.Once, as I was tucking her into her crib, she said, "Goodnight, Miss Clavel." She had decided that she was "Madeline."
And then there was the time she watched, "Cars" and decided she was "Lightening McQueen." Apparently being an inanimate object has all kinds of advantages. We soon discovered that there were all sorts of things that Lightening McQueen doesn't do; like putting on socks and shoes, brushing teeth, and any other distasteful task.
Last night, at the dinner table, she was lapping up water out of a cup. When questioned about her lack of table manners, Alyssa barked, and said, "That's how puppies drink." To which, Graton responded, "Yes, but you are a little girl and I want you to drink out of a glass."
We love you Lizzy, just as you are!

9 comments:
you have very brilliant kids, and I know it's not the first time I make comments about that...but it's true, so what can I do.
ok. the picture of alyssa at the end is so priceless. i can't believe how much she has grown. makes me miss you tons.
Ah, the drinking like a dog at the table drives me CRAZY! Our meals all take so long lately because the kids can't leave behind whatever role they were playing. Its funny because when I was a kid, and my parents wouldn't let me have a dog, I pretended to be a dog a lot, but we got Bean a dog and its only increased the role playing!
Sounds like she has a great imagination!
That is so cute--your girls are so creative, it is darling! Love that last picture!
At least she's not afraid to take on a male character. :)
Love it! Your kids are getting a great education in older movies their peers will likely never get. Good for you. I've seen way too many computer animated barbie princess movies while babysitting our other nieces... I'd much rather watch Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang.
Alyssa is adorable--and she's got great taste in names :)
We watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for Eli's Birthday. The kids loved it and wanted to become engineers.... They thought the egg/meal maker gadget was so cool and they don't even like eggs. I love the old classics... and am so glad they love them too. It always takes a little convincing before it starts that they will like it though.
One of my favorite lullabyes comes from chitty chitty bang bang. I loved it so much i bought the piano music.
Love the concluding couplet. And I love that you've documented so many of her aliases. Aren't kids so precious?! (When they're not driving you absolutely bonkers?!)
Post a Comment