Thursday, July 01, 2010

Luray Zoo

As part of our Shenandoah trip in May, we visited the "Luray Zoo." It's a small, privately owned, mostly a reptile zoo. Pretty much, the next best thing to visiting the Australia zoo, home of Audrey's hero, Steve Irwin.





In fact Steve Irwin has visited this zoo, and his family even sponsors a few of their exhibits. The couple that owns the Luray Zoo was hired to help Steve Irwin film one of his shows. Apparently he was trying to film some local snakes in their natural environment, but it was too early in the season for the snakes to be out so the Luray Zoo had to plant some.

Apparently, that's not so uncommon in show business.


We'd been learning about "kookaburras" and watching you tube videos about them, so it was fun to see one in real life.

We graced it with our family's rendition of "kookaburra sits in the old gum tree."




Next stop, the petting zoo.






The girls loved grooming and feeding the animals.



I was just grateful no one lost any fingers. The animals were pretty aggressive when it came to feeding time.

"Mamma, can I have a pet goat?"

Just kidding, she didn't say that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if she thought it!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you ask because if Paige heres about wanting a goat you just might end up with one.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

What a great activity! I loved petting zoos as a kid (actually come to think of it, I still do).