Wednesday, October 20, 2010

His Way

Tonight Audrey was having a really rough time. Like crying nonstop, on and on , until I was about to lose it myself, kind of a night. I tried everything. I sent her to her room. I lectured her. I held her and taught her anger management techniques. I prayed with her. Nothing was working. She was convinced that she was incapable of gaining control of her emotions, and shot down all of my recommendations. In desperation, I called Graton at work and asked for his advice.

When I got off the phone, Audrey came in the kitchen. She was completely cheerful, and bedtime went smoothly. When she learned that we weren't going to have any more snacks that night, she said, "Oh, well, we'll have breakfast in the morning." I was shocked. And I asked her, what had changed.

She said she had remembered a primary lesson. She had been taught four steps of repentance, and she'd decided to implement them. She showed me the game she'd played, by making footprints and writing out the steps:

Here are the steps as she remembered them:

1) Feel Sorry
2) Write it down (I'm not sure about that one, but can't hurt)
3) Make up for it
4) Don't do it again.

In her sweet, childlike faith, she had applied the lesson she had learned and it had made all of the difference.

The whole time I thought that I was the one who had to teach her everything, and was worried about how I'd send her out in the world unable to handle life's disappointments.

But I forgot that there is someone who knows and loves her better than I. Someone who can teach her and guide her perfectly.

I just need to get out of His way.

5 comments:

Linn said...

Absolutely beautiful. What a sweet girl.

Anne said...

Wow. I'm all choked up.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Sweet!

The Conductor said...

That is a beautiful lesson. And a beautiful girl you have there, as you know. Wow! (Do you mind if I share this story with my Primary teachers?)

jowo said...

very very significant!