I first met Tamara at our engagement party. Friendly and smiling, she and her husband David came to our small gathering at Graton's apartement in Provo to wish us well. David had been Graton's roommate at BYU and Tamara was his new bride.
I liked her immediately. She emitted a warmth and kindness that put one at ease. Her gift, a small silverware set with dainty flowers, seemed to match her sweet and unassuming personality.
The next time I saw her she had just had brain surgery. The hospital she'd been taken to after her collapse, wasn't covered by the insurance her job provided and Graton went to help his friend David meet with the hospital charity department and sort out medical bills.
Shortly afterwards they moved back home to Tamara's house where her mother could help in her recovery and they loaned us their truck for the summer until we could afford to fix our car. It amazed me that even in their extremity they were able to be so generous.
Tamara was given less than one year to live. Though she needed multiple surgeries, she continued to beat the odds in more ways than one. They had been told by fertility specialists that they would not conceive and were on an adoption waiting list. Yet a few years after the cancer they had a miraculous pregnancy, and named their son Isaac.
During our years in San Diego, I worried and prayed for Tamara, and would call her from time to time. She was always cheerful and upbeat, and though I called to comfort her, I would feel comforted. Though my health challenges were far less severe, it was comforting to have a friend who could understand and relate, and one who lived with joy.
We were able to visit on a few occasions when she sought treatment in San Diego. One of my favorite memories is watching her playing in the waves with my daughter, savoring every moment, while I stayed huddled in the car to avoid the cold.
Now ten years and 4 surgeries later, Tamara is no longer a good surgical candidate and will need aggressive radiation and chemo to fight the tumors that will return. Her friends have set up a fund to help with her medical bills.
It seems there are so many good causes, and I usually ignore them as I never feel I have some big amount to give. But Tamara's facebook page says, "If everyone gave $5, it will quickly add up." So, if you are looking for somewhere to give this Christmas, please consider making a donation at
http://tamaramezabenefitfund.blogspot.com/
Thanks so much!
Valerie
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry to hear the news about your friend. My best friend from high school has brain cancer with a similar life expectancy. I'm thankful for each day that she continues to live! I'm inspired by your post to find a way to contribute to the cause. I wish the best to Tamara
So sad, I'm make sure to donate.
We will be donating! What an amazing friend you have!
Post a Comment