Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Cleaning with Beans



This summer I decided we needed to get serious about chores. With 700 square feet and one bathroom, there's not much to do, but I figured it was time for the girls to learn how to do it.

Inspired  by the "All-of-a-Kind-Family" story about the Mom hiding buttons to encourage her girls to dust, as well as Rachel De Mille's bean counter incentive program, I decided to make chores a bit more fun and accurate.

I put black beans in places that I wanted clean. The girls could then collect the beans and put them in a jar. Once the jar was full (they also earned beans for good behavior), we have a family movie party.

 

Beans spread out around the sink


I like how this helped them remember to clean the bottom of the toilet

 
Inside is a bit trickier. Maybe I should use tape?


Also works for dusting and spotting carpet stains


What housekeeping tricks to you employ?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

kim said...

I love this idea! We may need to try this because our chore routine seems to have fallen into me threatening instead of anyone having fun.