April 17th is a special day for me, because it is the birthday of two very special men in my life.The first is my wonderful, eternal companion of 6 1/2 years, and friend of 14 years.
32 years ago today, my sweetheart was born. Graton always says it's funny that we give gifts on birthday. He thinks, if anything, we should give gifts to the mothers, because they are the ones that worked so hard to bring us into the world. Having gone through labor twice now, I must wholeheartedly agree, and I want to thank my wonderful mother-in-law for her crucial role in his birth, as well as my father-in-law for assisting her in raising and preparing him to be the loving, devoted husband and father he is today.
The other birthday boy is my sweet brother Jeremy. He was born 28 years ago today. The hospital where my mother normally delivered was full, which was fortuitous for me, because my mother ended up delivering at a hospital that allowed siblings to come visit the new baby. I was 5, and just old enough to don the hospital gown and hold my new baby brother. I remember how excited I was, and how I had to sneak away, so my two-year-old brother wouldn't be jealous.
Jeremy and I have alot in common, similar features, a shared love of music and theater, even a common mission language.

He and Graton have a special bond as well, as Graton was his MTC teacher. When Jeremy was entering the MTC, I asked Graton to look out for him. I found out much later, that Graton actually requested a district change, so he could be one of his teachers. At this time, Graton I weren't dating or even very close friends, so Jeremy was quite surprised to receive a letter two years later announcing that we would be getting married shortly after his return. He wrote to Graton, and said, "When I called you "Brother Gathright" in the MTC, I never imagined you'd be my brother for real!
How grateful I am for these two wonderful men in my life, for their love, faith, and devotion. I'm so grateful that I can be with them for eternity.


4 comments:
That was very sweet, Val. Thanks! Hope you and Graton had a great day yesterday.
Such a beautiful post. I love that pic of you and jer when your little. =)
Hooray for the birthday boys. What a cool connection between your brother and husband. We kind of have a similar one. I swear we are the same person sometimes.
Wow, Sparky was really a kid once!
Val, this was a great post...I'm so glad I can keep posted what you guys are up to.
Post a Comment