Graton and I awoke at 4:00am this morning to the sound of our hard drive expiring.
We lost 6 months of pictures and videos, and what is the hardest for me, is all the wonderful footage of my girls with their great-grandparents from our recent trip to Oakdale.
Lovely pictures of my girls in the wildflowers overlooking the lake of "Oak Haven," my grandparents cabin, and my childhood paradise. I had 10 blog posts in my head of special memories to record for my girls of their wonderful heritage, and was meaning to get to writing it down.
We took the hard drive to a repair place to find out if it was recoverable. The price for such a service, if successful, starts at $700 and can get up to $3000. We're not sure, yet what we're willing to pay, but it's hard to put a price on memories.
I was remarkably calm during this whole ordeal, which is very uncharacteristic of me. I can only attribute it to having spent last night in the temple and having a bigger picture of what really matters. As much as I treasure photos and videos, what is more important is the knowledge that I am sealed to the people I love forever, and that we will continue to create memories throughout eternity.
I wish I had backed up my photos, or posted my pictures, etc.. etc.. And I'm still praying that they are salvageable. But I'm grateful that I have what really matters, my beautiful family.... forever.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh, that stinks! My best wishes on the recovery. My vote is that memories have no price. It's worth the splurge. Plus, you're long overdue for a blog post!
So sorry to hear that, Val! That's discouraging. It'd be a shame to lose those photos of Oak Haven -- especially since we never know how long we'll have it.
I haven't backed up in months -- this reminds me that I need to. I have over 10,000 photos on my hard drive. If I lost them I'd be devastated...
Definitely get a second opinion on pricing for the hard drive. Don't let them gauge you. Computer repair pricing is pretty fluid ... but it's true that data recovery is pretty expensive :(
I'm sure my brother-in-law Daniel can get them off for free. He did it for me once. He builds computers. Send it to my address.
Val-I had no idea...I've seen you so many times today!!! I am sending you a hug right now! The same thing happened to me right after I had Lily...Let's just say I was NOT handling it well. Ben and I now back up our stuff on to 3 alternate locations other than our computer. It was the most painful lesson. Yes, the kids are yours forever...But, it still hurts. What can I do!
PS we bought a program that recovered MANY of our pics for less than $100 dollars...you should look into that!
I am so, so sorry. You are amazing to handle it so well. I can't even imagine what I would do. I think I'd better back up my hard drive right now. It's been a while. Good luck!
Post a Comment