
I didn't know I was marrying a gourmet chef. Probably because Graton didn't know he was a gourmet chef. Ironically, when I was in high school. and my mother told me I needed to learn to cook, I'd say that I didn't, because I was going to marry a chef.
I never liked cooking, but once Graton started grad school and became busy, I figured I ought to pitch in and do my part. I find now that I often really enjoy cooking, and do my best with our day-to-day fare. But if I want to eat gourmet, I step out of the kitchen and let Graton work his magic.
For Father's Day, I shopped deals and splurged on some yummy food, and played with the kids so he could focus on cooking. He invited a friend over for dinner and grilled steak and asparagus, He also baked potatoes, steamed artichokes, and carrots, and made a delicious lemon-parsley- garlic butter. The food was delectable and the presentation superb.
I must admit, I feel really spoiled. While men across the country are celebrating their Father's Day, by drinking beer and watching football, my husband is whipping up a feast under the tutelage of "Cook's Illustrated."
Audrey enjoyed setting the table and made place cards for each of us, with our name and a personalized drawing. My place card depicted she and I playing ping pong together. The place card she made for our friend Rob, showed a picture of Rob and Graton shaking hands. Good food and great artwork. What could be better?
I imagine that I'm biased in extolling my husband's cooking prowess. As he reminds me, "lots of people cook." Maybe it's just that I'm so culinarilly challenged in the art of cooking, that he shines in comparison. But as long as Graton's Gourmet is open, it's my favorite place to dine.

3 comments:
My mouth is watering just thinking about Sparky's food! Wished we lived closer so we could enjoy it more often!
love the placemats thing. cute!
Been enjoying your latest blog entries, Val. You can cook great, tho! I've always been well fed when on my visits.
Post a Comment