Sunday, June 15, 2008

Auntie Gail


Another special lady who helped me greatly with both of my babies, is "Auntie Gail." Gail's daughter, Jennifer and I became friends since we were nine years old, and have been close ever since. We were in girl ccouting together, until we graduated high school. We had some really bonding experiences, such as when we backpacked through Europe for a month with a girl scouting group, and working on our gold award (the girl scout equivalent of the Eagle).

Gail has always treated me with the same love and caring as she did her own daughter. But I don't think I realized what a truly remarkable woman she is until she helped nurse me back to health after the birth of both of my daughters. She came for a few days after I had Audrey and for two weeks after Alyssa was born. Both times, she cooked, cleaned, cared for my children, pampered me, believed in me, encouraged me, and loved me as the Savior would.
She will always be special to me and hold a special place in my heart.

I've too often felt resentful of the trial of a chronic illness. It's embarrassing to feel so helpless both physically and emotionally, and to go through periods of dependence on others. But accepting service from loved ones has humbled me, enlarged my soul and deepened my love and gratitude in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Shortly before his death, the Savior told his disciples, "I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you." This promise has been fulfilled time and again in my life. During periods of loneliness, sickness, and discouragement, he has not left me comfortless. He has spoken peace to my heart, and sent others to minister to my needs. I truly, "stand all amazed at the love he has offered me."


1 comment:

Anne said...

So inspiring! I'm in town till Friday. Do you want to hang out?