Twenty-four years ago today, my "Sweet-Ness" was born. I remember staying at my grandparents' house with my three brothers, and anxiously awaiting the phone call from the hospital, the one I hoped would bring the fulfillment of a most cherished wish.
At the time, my nine-year-old heart had but two desires, the granting of which, I knew would ensure my complete happiness forever. Every wishbone at Thanksgiving, every candle blown out on a cake, and even my most earnest prayers centered around my desire for the granting of these two wishes. The first, my own room, I had received a few months earlier, when my parents moved us into a larger home. All that remained was for a baby sister to enter my nearly perfect world.
Finally, the phone rang. "It's a girl!" my father exclaimed. "I knew it!" I shouted. It had happened. Heavenly Father granted my fondest wish
I loved my new little doll. I changed her diapers, held her, and pretended I was her Mommy. As she became a toddler, I even tried (unsuccessfully) to convince her that I was her true Mother. She didn't buy it, but when my Mother bought us matching teddy bear nightgowns, I was able to convince her to call me "Momma Bear."
By the time I was in my teens, I told her that when we were older, we'd do all kinds of girlie stuff together. Look through teen magazines, give each other makeovers, and pedicures, etc.. The years went too quickly, and soon she was nine, and I had left for college, then a mission, and marriage.I looked forward to her letters and sweet gifts she'd send me as I was away. But I mourned the closeness we never had due to time and distance apart.

Now my "Sweet-Ness" is a grown woman. A wife, a college graduate, and a woman of many talents and abilities. I still wish we were closer than we are, but I love the moments we have to spend time together, get to know one another, and share in each others' joys. She was and is the answer to a little girl's dream come true. I often tell my girls," You're lucky to have a sister. I had to wait until I was nine-years-old to have mine."
She was worth the wait.

Happy Birthday "Baby Bear!"
Finally, the phone rang. "It's a girl!" my father exclaimed. "I knew it!" I shouted. It had happened. Heavenly Father granted my fondest wish
I loved my new little doll. I changed her diapers, held her, and pretended I was her Mommy. As she became a toddler, I even tried (unsuccessfully) to convince her that I was her true Mother. She didn't buy it, but when my Mother bought us matching teddy bear nightgowns, I was able to convince her to call me "Momma Bear."
By the time I was in my teens, I told her that when we were older, we'd do all kinds of girlie stuff together. Look through teen magazines, give each other makeovers, and pedicures, etc.. The years went too quickly, and soon she was nine, and I had left for college, then a mission, and marriage.I looked forward to her letters and sweet gifts she'd send me as I was away. But I mourned the closeness we never had due to time and distance apart.
Now my "Sweet-Ness" is a grown woman. A wife, a college graduate, and a woman of many talents and abilities. I still wish we were closer than we are, but I love the moments we have to spend time together, get to know one another, and share in each others' joys. She was and is the answer to a little girl's dream come true. I often tell my girls," You're lucky to have a sister. I had to wait until I was nine-years-old to have mine."
She was worth the wait.
Happy Birthday "Baby Bear!"



5 comments:
You are so sweet! I am so glad I got a really sweet sister. I can honestly say I've never heard a mean word come out of your mouth directed towards me or about me. Thanks for praying for my birth!
I always wanted a little sister too. Unfortunately my half-sister Haley, who is 11 years younger than me, lives in Georgia. I haven't really had a chance to get to know her. I hope one day that I will!
I remember getting my brother, Yancy. I don't remember being quite so excited about him though..
This is a wonderful tribute to your sister, Val.
you are such a sweet sister!
And Happy Birthday Vanessa!!We're all glad you came to join the fam!
Post a Comment