Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This is the Best Christmas Ever, Because....


About halfway to my parent's house on Christmas day, Audrey started expressing her discomfort.

"I'm hot, and tired, and bored!" she said.

Graton turned this into a game, similar to the old stand-by, "I'm going to Grandma's house and I'm going to bring...."

"I'm hot, tired, bored, and my neck is stiff from driving!"

"I'm hot, tired, bored, my neck is stiff from the car ride, and I have to go potty," I lamented.

The game was amusing at first, as we listed all of our complaints.

Finally, I started to feel so rotten that I said, "We've got to stop. I'm going to cry I feel so depressed!"

So Graton started a new game. "This is the best Christmas ever, because..."

As we focused on our love for each other, excitement at seeing grandparents and cousins, I felt uplifted and energized.

I thought of the insight of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, one of our church leaders who said, "no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse. "

Our prophet recently quoted a well-known author as saying,

“Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend … when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.”

I find myself all to often tending the wrong secret garden. I will strive, in 2009, to tend my secret garden of abundance and to always remember to give thanks to its creator.

7 comments:

mum said...

ah what helpful insight ! i'm glad this message is somewhere that i can re read it .. Its a message not to be missed and certainly not to be forgotten...

Unknown said...

"Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend"

I love it. What an eloquent way of putting that idea into words. I try to live my life by always looking on the "bright side" as well.

novidiac said...

so I guess this is a bad time to mention that "I've got more posts on my blog than you do!"

but if you really are focusing on abundance you can look at it as you have more exciting things to look forward to read than I do!.... although I really look forward to when you post!

I loved the car game though!....

novidiac said...

Didn't the secret garden have a huge tall brick wall around it?

I have exhausted myself just building brick garden beds... I think I'll keep my garden public and not so secretive!

Peace is mine in 2009... peace doesn't come from a whiny garden I can assure you!

Teachinfourth said...

Excellent post, Val. A good reminder of how 'whining' does nothing to help in the end...

Linn said...

Beautiful Valerie! Thank you!

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

AHHHH there are thorns in my secret garden and they must be removed!!!!