This Christmas I had the opportunity to experience celebrations of other faiths.
A kind lady in the library invited me to a living nativity hosted by Horizon Christian Church. The excitement of the participants, the live animals, and the chill in the evening, all lent themselves to a serious reflection of the first Christmas night so long ago.
The star of the show, was the tiny actor portraying the baby Jesus. When we first saw this precious baby, his mother was covering him with her cloak to keep him warm and he was wailing. But then, amazingly, she lay him down on the manger, and he stopped crying, and cooed, smiled and looked around at the crowd. That was a precious moment.
The other Christmas celebration we attended was the Christmas Eve service of La Jolla Community Church. Our friend, Amy was singing a solo, and invited us to worship with her. Amy did a lovely job, and the service was beautiful. I really enjoyed the candlelight segment of the service, and the girls had a great time in the church's childcare.
Everyone we met at these celebrations was warm and welcoming. I really felt a sense of brotherhood as I joined with hundreds of strangers to celebrate the Savior's birth.
In an increasingly secular, selfish, and materialistic society, I find hope and reassurance, knowing that there are still so many who seek for the author of peace and good will towards men.

3 comments:
Love Alyssa's sassy stance. Those are some cute girls!
ah Valerie, like you
I love such experiences. diversity is a great thing.. It reminds us of the brother hood of man..
Recently, in church I looked around and casually reflected on all the different ethic groups and the myriad of nations represented ( either first or second generation). I think there were 40! the cultural and ecumenical backgrounds s are so enriching to us all.
There were couples from Russia from the Ukraine from Israel , south Africa, Brazil… every Asian country was represented even tho there may only have been one or two of each.. Samoan, Peruvian Equatorial, El Salvadorian . South African, Greek, Argentina, the 4 uk countries , Scandinavian, First Nations, and I could go on and on.. How great this is …Not only in my social circle but I live in a country that embraces these many nationalities... and yet…….. they are all Canadians... we are not a melting pot but a grand mosaic. Yes the brotherhood of man.
I remember many many years back while walking in beacon Hill Park . it crossed my mind so positively hearing German, French, Japanese (and more) languages spoken by couples and with children… I feel blessed that I can speak with and learn from and come to know these many peoples.. Just think , we can go around the world……….. right here at home...
ADORABLE
Post a Comment