
Old Town Alexandria, is huge, and is an interesting study in contrasts There are upscale restaurants, and chain fast food joints, ritzy clothing stores, and thrift stores, street musicians, bikers, pubs, historical tour guides in colonial dress. It seemed each block offered something completely new! Unlike other city centers I'd seen, Old Town seemed very family oriented. There weren't just singles cruising the streets, there were strollers to.
At the end of the main thoroughfare, King Street, is the waterfront. Crowded, but lovely, we enjoyed walking along the marina.

Old Town was like a crazy conglomeration of downtown La Jolla, Pier 39 in San Francisco, Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles, and parts of London. I enjoyed exploring, but was sure happy to return to the peace and quiet of our apartment.
The next morning, we arose early and went to the DC temple for the first time.I had a pang of homesickness, as I missed the small, intimacy of the San Diego temple. The inside reminded me a bit of a Sci Fi 60s movie, (not surprisingly, since that's when it was built), especially the elevator that announced the names of the floors. But it was so lovely, and so good to bask in the feelings of peace, serenity, and love, unique to the temple.
I also realized, that it was the first time I saw an African-American family in the temple. For some reason, that really struck me. We had regularly had families from Mexico attending our San Diego temple, but I don't think I'd ever seen an African American Family in a temple before. I also saw a sister from India, and I felt like I was let into a little microcosm of the world, with brothers and sisters of all races.
On the way out, we saw a long line of patrons waiting to enter the temple, also a first. It was a busy day for weddings. I'm anxious to bring the girls some time to see the brides, walk the grounds and explore the visitor center.
We next headed for the district, but after trying unsuccessfuly, to find parking, we ended up back in old town for more food and window shopping.
Meanwhile, back at the sitters....
The girls were having a horrible time and never forgave us for leaving them.
Just kidding!
They were spoiled rotten with a breakfast of homemade whole wheat muffins, mangos, grapes, and eggs...
and they got to go bowling for the first time!
They loved it!!

4 comments:
Happy Anniversary! What a great post. You know, I love being in the temple and I love our temple here in Boston. But I have to admit the San Diego temple will always be "my temple."
SOunds like a great celebration.
Love the temple anniversary cake. How cute! Looks like you're doing some really fun things out there. Thanks for keeping us posted!
Congratulations on 8 years! Glad you got to celebrate (without kids, even)!
Post a Comment