Monday, August 10, 2009

Eight Years of Eternity: Part 2

A few years ago, on the Monday night before our anniversary, Graton baked a cake, and cut it into the shape of the Los Angeles Temple. We decided to make it a tradition, and celebrate the birthday of our family every year.

Making the cake. Because I'm a big fan of honesty, I even left the box in plain view. I must say, it was one of the tastiest cakes I've ever had. I definitely recommend Duncan Hines' Moist Double Fudge mix. Make sure to eat it while it's hot!


Graton's clever cake carving. Notice the angel Moroni on top.

The finished product. I recognize that my toddler isn't wearing clothes. Let me just say, that considering her dress code lately, it's amazing she's wearing anything.

After the festivities, I was doing dishes, when Graton came up from the basement, excited to show the girls an interesting visitor. We got our young herpetologists out of bed to study a snake (probably an Eastern Ratsnake)


As I returned to washing dishes, I reflected a bit on the symbolism of finding a snake on our anniversary. I thought of Adam and Eve, and the serpent who tempted them in the Garden of Eden. And I was grateful to Eve for choosing to eat the fruit so that we may form eternal families. And so grateful for my husband and children who are part of my eternal family,

5 comments:

Anne said...

Wow. You are deep. I would have seen the snake, run, and erased it from my memory. Way to ponder on the eternities!

Jake said...

Thanks for the updates on your family. What a neat tradition!

We have at least four resident garter snakes, all with slightly different coloring, but they stay outside and I chase them sometimes to keep them away from the lawnmower. I love having them around!

Unknown said...

Awesome cake!

Is that your new Ikea shelving in the background of the picture?

Teachinfourth said...

Graton is pretty thoughtful, isn't he? I remember just how he was always thinking of others and bringing somebody with him up to his sister's house for dinner on Sunday nights.

You got yourself a keeper with him...

The Conductor said...

You found symbolism on a snake in your basement?!! Wow, Valerie! Go you! (I'm with Anne!)

Very impressive cake-carving skills, Graton. Fun tradition.

I'm so glad to see you found some shelving for your kitchen!