Thursday, January 28, 2010

What I'm doing these days...

Otherwise Titled:

Excuses Reasons why I never get around to finish all those blogs that rot in my drafts folder, or swim around in my head:

Monday: A.M. Audrey gets up and works on an art project in the living room while I sleep in until 6:30-7:30 am. When she hears me stir, she rushes to my bed and if we have time, we read for a little together. Graton is usually long gone.

Morning Routine:

Breakfast

Exercise: (I try to do a 20-30 minute exercise video)

Gospel Learning Time with the girls (15-20 minutes, reading scriptures, learning songs, memorization, etc..)

Shower, dress, etc..


Homeschool Audrey

Lunch

PM: Pick up our 6-year-old neighbor at the local elementary school and watch her + give her a piano lesson until her Mom comes to pick her up. Make dinner, pick up and vacuum.

Tuesday:

Am: same as Monday. Nothing scheduled for the pm

This is my one full day at home to get stuff done around the house and retrieve my sanity. Unless something super cool comes up. Like $1 ice skating on Tuesday afternoons, or homeschool art class next week, or the homeschool pet care class at PetCo the week after, etc.. until I finally force myself to stop signing up for all the fun activities in the area, because I'm exhausted and the house doesn't keep itself.


Wednesday:

A.M. Homeschool class at Hidden Pond
P.M. Make dinner, pick up and vaccuum

Thursday
Am: 2-year-old coop. If it's not my turn to host, Audrey and I have a date to the library, or a museum in the winter. Bike rides and nature hikes in better weather.
Pm: Teach 4 piano students. Eat leftovers

Friday: Most of the Day: 5-6 year old homeschool coop. If I'm not hosting, I run errands, and try and give Alyssa some attention.

Evenings: 5:30 pm: dinner, then Graton plays with kids and puts them to bed, while I relax/go to an activity (like book club)/run errands. 7:30pm Graton and I hang out and do whatever we're into. It used to be scrabble. Lately it's been watching the original Star Trek series on Netflix.

What I try and fit in between: cooking, laundry, grocery shopping, practicing the flute, reading my scriptures, preparing my lesson to teach to the Young Women on Sundays, visiting teaching, making jewelry (I just took a class!), practicing the piano, cleaning, reading for fun, baking bread, calling my parents and sibs, teaching Audrey piano, reading to the girls, emails, blogs, doctors/dentist appointments, naps!

What I haven't yet admitted to myself that I'm not really going to fit in right now:

Everything else that I'm sure I'll get around to when I just have a minute

Wow, it felt good to write all that down. Now I realize why I'm so frustrated, and why I always feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not meeting my goals.

They may be a tad bit unrealistic. But I'm not quite ready to admit that, and lower my standards. Because, who knows, maybe tomorrow will have 27 hours, or better yet, 35!

I'm so grateful to have so many blessings, and the health to do so many fun things. Maybe I should slow down and try and enjoy them more. Any ideas on how to do that?

6 comments:

kim said...

I completely understand where you're coming from, except you are actually more productive than I am. Lately I have decided to combat my inability to do it all with complete laziness and hermit-like tendencies. I blame it on winter. I am still not used to this season and sucks all my energy away.

Good luck finding those extra hours--I'd love to know the secret!

Heather said...

Oh Valerie I wish you lived here! We are looking for a piano teacher for Kyler! He is so excited to take lessons.
Being a mom is soo much work! I don't know how you do it all when you home school! The only time I feel like I can collect myself is when my boys are at school. You are like WonderWoman! I envy your motivation. Keep up the great work! What a beautiful example you are for your daughters!

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

You're such a good mom! This is inspiring for when I have kids. I really like the gospel time. I'm definitely going to implement that!

Anne said...

You really are an inspiration. :) Don't worry about having too many goals/not accomplishing everything...that is what keeps you on your toes.
P.S. Your health is really THAT good? Do tell.

Deborah said...

I often feel like I don't accomplish many of my goals too, but if I made a schedule of what I did - it wouldn't look half as good as yours. You are amazing! I'm not sure how you fit it all in! go Valerie!

The Conductor said...

I have to agree with the others, Val -- I was getting exhausted just reading through all those lists! Holy Toledo! Isn't that such an amazing tool Satan uses -- discouragement -- to make us feel like we're not getting much done, when in reality we're getting TONS of things done (things that often must be done all over again the next day) and they are usually the most important things anyway! Thanks for sharing this. It's nice to know others feel the same feelings of being overwhelmed, overworked, underaccomplished, and so on... Seriously, though, you do deserve some kind of medal for all that you manage to do each day! (Now go get some sleep!) =)