Monday, February 08, 2010

Is There a Doctor in the House?



Yep!!!

On January 29, 2010, Graton defended his dissertation at UCSD. All the members of his committee signed his dissertation. Perhaps, because I wasn't there, it still didn't feel like we were totally done.

So today, Graton finished up the formatting changes required by the university, and let me click the "submit dissertation" button, which uploaded the final copy of his dissertation to the office of graduate studies.

Which was great!!

But I still don't feel that huge relief, I thought I'd feel. I remember feeling the same way the day I came home from my mission in France. Why don't I feel a hundred pounds lighter?

I guess because there are still projects ahead. Now, he will work to submit his research for publication in academic journals.

And I don't have so many excuses to put off everything I've been putting off for what feels like forever.

Our code had been "ATD" for "after the dissertation." Perhaps I'll have to say "ATD" for "after the diet" (which is going pretty well, but that's a topic for another post). And then, "after the what? "

I guess I should just admit that I like, or at least feel comfortable, being stressed about some things, and procrastinating others.

But anyways, this was supposed to be a celebratory blog post!

Maybe if I start calling Graton, "Dr. Darling," and the girls start calling him, "Dr. Daddy," (and me "Master Mommy", out of fairness :) it will sink in.

I may not feel relieved, but I do feel amazed. I can't believe we actually did it!!

And humbled.

Because I know we couldn't have survived a Phd program, 2 children, and a chronic illness without divine help,

from the Master Physician.


Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

janet said...

WAHOOOOOOOOO!! This is a HUGE accomplishment. Congratulations to everyone in the Gathright house. I wish I could watch the kids so Dr Daddy and Master Mommy could celebrate!

Sam said...

sometimes your life is so busy that there is not much relief. But it was a great accomplishment nonetheless. I know with ours there was a lot of tings set to fill the void immediately after I finished.

Anne said...

Wow. That is so cool, and I must say, you write beautifully. You should write a book in all of your "spare" time.

Linn said...

What a beautiful post--I absolutely loved it!

Congrats Graton--huge, huge deal! Ours is coming soon and I can't wait!

kim said...

Congratulations, you guys!!! It is definitely a family effort to do school. And BTW, I think Master Mommy has a pretty awesome ring to it--kind of like Master of the Universe :)

Lanie said...

whuhooo- congrats.... I think it will be nice to be done, then I think what will life be like if we were done, and am I going to know what to do or think. Maybe I really do like vagabond life... I might miss it when we are done and have to settle down somewhere for real.

Again - BIG CONGRATULATIONS - that is alot of hard work.

Andrew said...

Job well done, the both of you. Valerie, this is a team work, what an accomplishment to you both.

Ashley said...

So, I have "lurked" onto your site and I'm sooo excited. I probably don't mean anything to you, but tell Graton hello from Gary Clark's daughter Ashley. I'm so glad to hear that he is a doctor! I always knew he was smart. I looked up to him so much as I was growing up. He rode his bike 30 miles to our house. He gave me an Elton John t-shirt... he was a big brother to me. "More Butter!" haha. Well, tell him I said hi, and then you can disregard my reminiscing. You are welcome to lurk onto our blog anytime.

richardashley.blogspot.com

ashley "clark" skifton

shannon said...

That's awesome! Congrats! That is seriously a massive accomplishment and you should all be so proud! Way to go, Sparky!

jowo said...

I now officially dub you all:
"Dr. G & V"
Very Best congratulations!!!!!
(although Chelsea has her J.D. she's still just Chelsea to me however you'll be interested to know that my Grandma Woolf usually referred to her husband as "the doctor" when it wasn't "Wilford")

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

hip hip hooray!

Dennis and Patty said...

Yay!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

The Conductor said...

Congratulations to ALL of you! Hooray!