Thursday, June 17, 2010

Overlook

My knowledge of Shenandoah National Park was completely derived from a John Denver song.

"Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River..."

When we moved here, we heard that they were really lovely, and were encouraged to visit. So we decided our family vacation this year would be a 3-day trip to the Shenandoahs.

In May, when the wildflowers would be blooming.

Except it rained the first two days. And it was very cold.

So although we drove around alot, and attended lots of ranger-led programs, we weren't too impressed. Sure there were trees, but with the fog so thick, we couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us, I was beginning to think the whole Shenandoah thing was highly overrated.

Maybe John Denver was having a dry spell, and singing about the Shenandoahs was the best he could come up with?

On day three, we checked out of our cabin and drove back into the park.

The sun came out, the temperature climbed 20 degrees, and we finally got it.


Not that I captured it with my inexpensive camera, and lack of photography knowledge, but it was breathtaking!

All this time driving for miles and miles up and down Skyline Drive, seeing nothing, and then suddenly a glorious vista opened up!


Audrey and Graton were studying turkey vultures and ozone for the Junior Ranger program, so I followed Lizzy as she walked up and down the stone wall.

"Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River"

Guess what Graton wants for Father's Day?

I'll give you a hint, it involves our family driving 90 miles to a beautiful National Park and spending our Saturday hiking there."

"Take me home, country roads...."
"

2 comments:

Anne said...

"...to the place I belong. West Virginia, mountain mama. Take me home, country roads." Love John Denver.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Lol Yesterday, Ramsey and I were playing a geography trivia game and one question asked which state was the mountain state and Ramsey got it right and I asked how could he know and he started sing that song! hehe

Cute pic of Alyssa holding her arms out.