When we first moved to Virginia, I asked the children's librarian for some good book recommendations. She suggested, "Misty of Chincoteague." We loved the books and read all the ones in the series. We always wanted to go to visit the island, and finally decided not to wait until we had time and money for a long weekend, and just do it as a day trip. Although, it's a 3 1/2 hours away, it was a pleasant drive.
Since it was labor day weekend, and the beach was so crowded, I'd given up hope of spotting any of the famed ponies. I'd just settled down for a snooze on the beach, when the people next to me shouted, "The ponies!" I jumped up and ran over with Audrey to look at them.
And there they were:
Since it was labor day weekend, and the beach was so crowded, I'd given up hope of spotting any of the famed ponies. I'd just settled down for a snooze on the beach, when the people next to me shouted, "The ponies!" I jumped up and ran over with Audrey to look at them.
And there they were:
The poor ponies were driven to the water in an attempt to escape the horse flies. This guy was rolling in the sand trying to escape. Thankfully we had brought bug spray, but still found the flies bothersome.
There are 25 different herds on Asseteague Island. Each herd has 4-5 ponies: a stallion or two and mares. They've lived wild on the island for 300 years, since the first settlers brought them over for tax-free grazing.
I had followed the ponies down the island to snap photos, and ran back to get my family and so they could come see them. As I headed back a herd of ponies started running straight for me. I veered into the water, and so did they. I veered back upshore and luckily wasn't trampled to death! When I was safe, I took this photo.

There were four different herds congregating on the beach. Two park rangers stood close by, whip in hand keeping beach goers at a safe distance. They said they'd never seen anything like this, typically the herds avoid each other.
The rangers were pretty worried that the stallions would start fighting, and there were some minor tussles.
All the bathrooms had these warning signs.
All the bathrooms had these warning signs.
We tried eating at a crab shack next to the beach that had come recommended. I guess we're just not big seafood people. We redeemed our taste buds with an ice cream at a DQ on the drive back.

3 comments:
What small child can stay a bus length away from a pony?
Fantastic pictures! What a super cool experience for everyone!
Wow! So much for a nap and not seeing any ponies! Your snooze sure turned into a pretty exciting day at the beach! What an incredible experience! And I love the signs with the bus length's distance as the rule, that's serious! Glad it turned out to be so cool, and safe :)
Post a Comment