Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Eve: California Style




We had hoped to spend a white Christmas at Auntie Nova's house in Utah. But we ended up having a lovely, quiet Christmas Eve at home.

Right before dusk we took a family walk, and Graton suggested we check on our garden. We were thrilled to see our Alyssum had rallied. We had planted it when we found out we were having a girl and chose her name, but after Alyssa was born, the garden fell into neglect and died. Then we discovered some more volunteer plants: a sunflower sprout and tons of Swiss chard. Before we knew it we were weeding, raking paths, and removing Eucalyptus leaves from our garden beds. As I sifted the soft, delicate soil through my hands, I remembered why I fell in love with gardening in the first place. How therapeutic it is for me to dig in the dirt, and the excitement of watching things grow.

Audrey was anxious to go to the playground, and we met up with some friends there and talked as the kids played. We returned home to eat the yummy split pea soup Graton and Audrey had made, and Audrey requested a salad to go with it. I love seeing my daughter enjoy eating healthy food. I didn't like salads until I was an adult.

After dinner Audrey opened a couple of gifts from her grandparents, and we watched the signing times DVD that Grandpa Ted gave us, while drinking eggnog and eating shortbread cookies (a tradition Graton grew up with).

It's always strange to me that some of our most memorable and enjoyable family times together, are the ones where we don't have everything perfectly planned. We just kinda wake up and see where the wind takes us. It totally goes against my "have-to-always-be-in-control nature." It's something my wonderful husband has taught me, and I love it.

1 comment:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

i bit into a chocolate and discovered it was eggnog filled! yuck!