
I never thought I'd like making bread. If Graton had told me he wanted a bread-making wife, I would have had to reconsider his proposal. Somehow bread-making symbolized pre-liberated woman for me. As Audrey once said when I mentioned baking something, "Mom, you don't bake."
Enter Vanessa, my new next-door-neighbor. A Phd student in engineering, she's got both brains and baking skills. It was after she brought me over a loaf of her delicious, 100% whole wheat bread that I thought, "I've GOT to learn how to do this."
It was the first bread recipe I really fell in love with, something about the combo of hard red wheat and molasses that spoke to me. So I spent several weeks experimenting with bread recipes like a mad scientist until I got it right. Maybe not as good as Vanessa's. But then, I don't bake.

Audrey watching the dough "dance." I let the breadmaker do the kneading and first rise, and then I do a little kneading, a second rise, and bake it in the oven.

2 comments:
I'm with you on the baking-bread-means-unliberated-woman thing. Or maybe it's just that I'm lazy. It think it's the second one. Anyway, I'm impressed! Way to bake!
wow that is really good. Ramsey makes bread from scratch. He grew up with a British mom so I guess it's expected. I wish I could make bread. I probably could learn from him if I had more time.
Post a Comment