Thursday, August 20, 2009

Natural History Museum

One of the best things about our new location is access to the Smithsonian!! I originally wasn't that excited, because I figured the girls were too young, but then we discovered the natural history museum.

In this photo we're waiting for the museum to open. Our former San Diegan friends, and fellow DC transplants, The Paynes, shared with us their trick of arriving 30 minutes before the museums open. That way there is plenty of parking.

Audrey brought her natural history book with her, and in the photo, she and Graton are prepping for their visit.


Audrey was thrilled to see the dinosaur section. Her homeschool kindergarten class did a dinosaur unit, and she became quite enamored with the prehistoric creatures.


We all loved the ocean section. There were larger than life sea creatures, a small aquarium, and this depiction of the inhabitants of a coral reef. Amazing how similar it is to big city life.


Graton was excited to find this totem pole from the native peoples of British Columbia where he was born.




We've been learning all about the birds surronding us, and so my favorite part was this collection of local birds. In San Diego, I only really noticed crows, but here we love hearing and seeing the cardinals, baltimore orioles, robins, blue jays, etc..

Graton got really excited when he saw this exhibit. I couldn't figure out what it was about this stone that was thrilling, until he explained to me that it was historic in the field of economics. Apparently, these lived on an island called, "Yap," and are an important example of early currency.



We walked through rooms and rooms of full skeletons of every living thing. It was fascinating!! You can take a virtual tour here.

The last exhibit we visited was the insect zoo. It was especially geared for children. There was a beehive indoors which was interesting because the bees had an entrance to the outdoors. They could come and go as they pleased. They also brought insects out for the kids to hold. A huge, ugly cockroach, and a cute caterpillar. I was relieved when Audrey chose the caterpillar.

I couldn't believe that this was free, and only a 15 minute drive away! We really have the best of both worlds. Access to an exciting city, and yet a feeling of rural isolation at home.

I really believe that when the Lord closes a door, he opens a window. This was not where I wanted to end up, and yet I feel so blessed and grateful. The Lord really guided us here. I keep thinking, "How did he know?" but then, of course, I remember that he does.

3 comments:

mum said...

talk about blooming where you are planted ! great
and while you are at the smithsonian.. take a peek in their library magazine archive for a march issue several years ago with brother john on the cover ...

The Conductor said...

Wow, I should have left my comment on the previous (I mean subsequent)post for this post! I love how you are seeking out all that your area has to offer you. By the time you leave, it will seem like only a short dream and you'll be so glad you took it all in.

I hope you're getting lots of visitors! People can't say there'll be nothing to do there!

Scott said...

Dallin loved that place when we lived there! Glad you guys are having fun.