
We try and do a "gospel learning time" every morning. About a year ago, I tried to institute a devotional, but Audrey really disliked it. I don't know if she was just to young, or if she was just anxious to get to our school activities, and saw it as an unnecessary barrier. So I tried to rethink and remarket it as part of our curriculum this year.
I proposed that we open with a prayer, sing a primary song, and then choose an activity such as: reading a scripture story in the children's reader, tell a scripture story using the gospel art picture kit, do a lesson/activity out of the nursery manual, read a story from "Friend" magazine, or act out a scripture story. Audrey got the idea, and dubbed it, "gospel learning time"
She loves games, and as I'm not too creative on the "making up games" front, she's made up some of her own. She likes to take our picture of the Savior off the wall and set it up on the floor. Then she makes a path to it with paper strips. The goal is to get to the picture of the Savior, but you move either forward or backward depending on which strip you land on. For instance if you land on "hit your sister" you have to move backwards, but "love one another" moves you forward. She used to ask me to make these, but recently made some of her own.
Audrey loves the scriptures, and begs for "just one more" until I finally put my foot down, and tell her we have to move on. The other day, I read "just one more" 3 or 4 times, and then finally had to go get ready for an activity. "Fine, I'll read it myself!" she said with exasperation.
She's such a great example to me of someone who loves her Heavenly Father and has such faith and confidence in his love and care. Watching her, I understand more and more why our Savior admonished us to become as little children.



3 comments:
That's a great idea to have a variety of choices to do. We started out trying to do a song, prayer and scriptures each morning, but, I'll be honest, I started getting bored with it (I know, I know, that sounds horrible) and Bean wanted to just keep reading the stories from the children's scriptures forever, and we needed to get on with our day, but maybe if I made a list of possible things we could do, we could pick one each day and keep it to that. We'll have to try.
That's awesome.
i really agree that kids keep us on the straight and narrow.
You are so good at doing something gospel related everyday.
Post a Comment