
So it all started when our 4-year-old daughter, Audrey showed interest in crocodiles and alligators.
Normally, I would have just been mildly amused by this, but lately I've become interested in a method of education called "unschooling." The gist of this, is that children learn best when they are following their interests and passions, as opposed to learning on someone else's time frame, with subjects taught out of context.
So I decided to encourage this interest by checking out books and videos on "crocodillians" (alligators and crocodiles) at the library. I vaguely remembered having watched an episode of "The Crocodile Hunter" and so I checked this out for Audrey, though not really suspecting that she'd take to it, as she is frightened by the cat in "Cinderella." She totally loved it, and we watched it over and over.
I also read the bio on Steve Irwin, by his wife, Terri. Now, "conservation" and "wildlife" weren't even in my vocabulary (Isn't that some sort of tree-hugging/granola thing?) , and I was hoping to go my entire life without ever having to own a dog or cat. But something about the enthusiasm and love and passion for these amazing creatures touched my heart. I found myself recognizing the beauty in these animals that the Irwins loved.
I also enjoyed learning about this unique family, who genuinely believed in a cause and risked everything for it. From the episodes, Steve comes across as a bit of a show-off, but to those who knew him, he was completely genuine, and truly a man without guile.
After I finished the biography, Audrey asked her Dad to read it to her. They have been enjoying the book, and we feel like we are old friends with the Irwins. It affected me so much, that I watched some excerpts of Steve's Memorial service with tears streaming down my cheeks.
The other morning, my wonderful husband got up with the girls so I could sleep in. (He does this every morning, is he great or what?!) They were watching Audrey's new hero, and Graton comes in holding our 7-month-old Alyssa, and in his best Steve Irwin Australian Accent says, "She may look small, but she can drink up to 40 ounces a day! If I'm not careful, she could suck my entire finger off." He cracks me up.
What I love most about this whole experience is that our whole family is learning together, and growing together. We know how to tell the difference between an alligator and a crocodile, where Queensland is, and what Tasmanian devils look like.
We are saddened that Steve's life was so short, but grateful for what he gave to the world. We love you Steve-O! May your love of family, and spirit of conservation live on.

1 comment:
The cat in cinderella scares me too.
Post a Comment