Tuesday, December 18, 2007

House of Gathright

After a particularly quarrelsome week, I decided it was time to lay down some rules. (No whining, no throwing things, no yelling, etc..) I decided to address it in Family Home Evening.

However, I knew it wouldn't go over so well, if it was presented too negatively, so we ended up doing a Covey-esque mini mission statement. I drew a picture of a house and suggested the first rule. "Gathrights are kind and loving." Graton was next with "Gathrights listen to others" Audrey suggested "Gathrights are kind to friends and guests." We continued 'till we filled up our house.

Then, drawing from my fifth-grade cheerleading experience (Go Condors), I made up a little motto, "We're the Gathrights and we like to have fun. We're kind and loving to everyone. Gooooo Gathrights!!" Not the most erudite rhyme, but Audrey's four, so it worked. We even did our little motto after morning prayer this morning. Apparently mission statements aren't magic bullets.

Today there was still whining, and complaining, etc... But, hey Rome wasn't built in a day. And ya gotta start somewhere.

2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

hehehehehe. that cracks me up! keep up the good work!

Isa said...

Wow. Sounds great! What a wonderful family home evening lesson!