Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Noble Cousins: Magical Miles of Smiles



Miles made his debut into the world a month before Graton popped the question. He was a sweet, patient baby, always full of smiles. Graton and I would go swimming at the Nobles' local pool, and Miles would just lay contentedly in his infant seat, while we all swam, never making a peep. But if you looked at him, he'd flash you one of his million-dollar smiles. That's when I nicknamed him "Miles of Smiles."

Miles' sweet patience was put to the test at the tender age of 2 months, when he underwent a very serious surgery. When he was born, his fontanelles (or soft spots) were fused shut, allowing no room for brain growth. The surgery involved cutting his skull to allow his brain to continue growing. It was so sad, to see little Miles hooked up to all sorts of machinery, but thank goodness that we live in the 21st century. Without the technology we have, Miles wouldn't be with us today.

Graton and I had a very busy first year of marriage, and then moved to San Diego, so I didn't really get to know Miles until this summer. Seven-year-old Miles loves all that is magical and medieval. He loves to be read to, and we enjoyed reading together a fantasy book entitled, "Dragonling." He's very sweet and soft-spoken on the outside, but has a fun-loving, almost mischievious sense of humor, that shines through every so often.

Audrey often wanted to sit by Miles, and he was so sweet and affectionate with her, quite the big brother.

Miles reminds me very much of the medeival knights that he idolizes. He possesses that quiet, inner strength and courage, with a heart-melting smile, and deep, romantic soul. He'll conquer whatever righteous quests his future has in store.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

He sounds like a great kid, with a great aunt and uncle too...

novidiac said...

I just read your post to Miles and he says "We finished the book and it was really good. Thank you for writing about me."

novidiac said...

I love to read about my children on your blog... they sound great like kids I'd like to meet!....

I kinda think they're the best but always thought I was biased!

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I love that pic of him holding Audrey. =)

janet said...

I remember when Miles was a baby and was going through ALL that drama! What a champ! All Nova's kids sound smart and bright and charismatic. Must run in the family, eh?