Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Noble Cousins: Sweet, Savvy Sarah

Sarah, also unknowingly lent a hand in the Gathright-Munns matchmaking effort. When we arrived at the hospital to see Caleb, 17-month-old Sarah jumped down from her Mother's arms, did the sign for "Sparky" (Graton's nickname), and ran to him.

I think I fell in love on the spot.

I was 24-years-old and had been looking for a man as tender with children as my father ( a tall order). Though I had known Graton for 5 years, I hadn't had a chance to see that side of him. I still can picture that episode with perfect clarity, and can recall the feeling that swept
over me as I saw him care so tenderly for his niece. I've now had the great privilege and blessing of witnessing it time and again with our own children.

After spending three weeks with Sarah, my new motto is "Every Mom needs a nine-year-old girl." They should be distributed in the post-partum ward of the hospital, along with formula samples and DVDS on baby care. It was so wonderful to have Sarah's help entertaining my girls, and even helping with bath time.

It also gave me the opportunity to relive my childhood a bit. I was nine, when the youngest of my four siblings was born (and long-awaited sister!) I cherished caring for my siblings, and loved bathing, dressing, changing diapers, all the nurturing tasks. I relished hearing my Mother's friends at church say how nice it must be for my Mom to have my help, and for her to say that she didn't know what she'd do without me.

Sarah was such a sweet example to Audrey (who desparately wants to be grown up), and a second mother to Alyssa (who wouldn't go to anyone else). I never imagined, that night in the hospital, that I was meeting a little girl who would play such a big part, and be such a blessing in my life.




Besides being such a fantastic mother's helper, Sarah is fun, outgoing, bubbly, enthusiastic, and has a certain sophisticated savvy that makes her seem wise beyond her years. Thanks for taking such good care of my girls, Sarah. We love you !!

3 comments:

novidiac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
novidiac said...

The motto should be changed slightly to "Every mom needs someone elses nine year old girl." I also had a nine year old girl for a while when I first had Caleb... Mardy, Patrick's niece... And then after Miles was born I had Abby our neighbour. Off and on I had Bailey, my niece although she wasn't always nine!
Somehow your own nine year old girl isn't the same... Sarah is very helpful at home but has a true passion for smaller children and her brothers don't really appreciate the babying too much. Sarah is sought after by three other mothers with small children on our street regularly.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Thanks for taking care of me when I was a wee baby. Love you!!!