Friday, September 12, 2008

Noble Moments: Novidiac


When I first announced that I'd bought a one-way ticket to my sister-in-law's house, the response's were all pretty much the same. Your sister...in-law?! You mean Graton's sister? Presumably it would be normal to stay with my own sister, but a little strange to stay with an in-law. Perhaps my friends, knowing my tendency to a type A/stress over everything/likes to be in control type personality were concerned about how I'd do under what could be very trying circumstances.

I rushed to reassure them. "Nova's totally type B, very kick back, lots of fun. I lived there for a month once and we watched lots of movies and made milkshakes. It'll be a vacation!"

Despite my outward bravado, I began to get a bit nervous. True, Graton and I had stayed at the Noble's for a month once, but we just had one 8-month-old baby at the time. This time I was thrusting myself upon Nova's hospitality, alone, with two kids, for an undetermined amount of time, so that Graton could get some uninterrupted school work done. How would that go?

The first few days were a bit rough. Alyssa started waking up in the night, was so clingy it was a challenge even to unpack, and kept trying to climb the stairs. Audrey was homesick, and struggled to adjust to a new place with new rules and routines. I wasn't sure how long we'd last.

But the girls soon became enamored with their new surroundings, and Nova had some fabulous ideas such as teaching Alyssa to safely maneuver the stairs, and instigating the "good behavior game." Our visit became a wonderfully rejuvenating vacation for me, and a great memory-maker for the girls.

Nova is the big sister I always wanted, but I have the advantage of gaining her later in life, and never having had to fight with her over clothes or boyfriends. She made me feel welcome from the first time I met her, before she (or even Graton and I) knew if I was going to become a permanent part of her life.

Nova is a real ball of fire. She is so energetic, so much fun, so interesting and knowledgeable about so many things, that she's a joy to be around. She's been a mentor to me on many topics, especially child-rearing, and has never made me feel judged or critisized. The three weeks we spent with her were a blast! Some of my favorite parts were:


1) Bike Riding to the Library: Nova totally amazed me by towing three kids and about 100 pounds of books on her bike. We also enjoyed participating in the summer reading program, and build-a-bug activity.

2) Making Family Home Evening Games: I wanted to make some games and visual aids to use in my family home evenings, and knew Nova was the one to help me get started. She checked out lots of idea books from the library, and we copied, colored, cut and laminated together. Audrey and I have been enjoying playing "Scripture Go Fish" and "LDS Bingo," and I've lots of fun projects still to finish.

3) Movies, Movies, and more Movies. I think I watched more movies in those 3 weeks than I have in the past 3 years! It was so fun to get such good recommendations and then watch them together (Especially the chick flicks!)

4) Yummy food: Homemade granola, zucchini pancakes, homemade Mac n Cheese, Asian Noodle Soup, cheesy croissants, and fruit parfaits, just to name a few.

5) Talking until all hours: About anything and everything. The night before I left, we were up talking until at least 3:00am. Audrey and Duncan gave up on being put to bed and just fell asleep in our laps. (See above picture).

Although Audrey had a fabulous time, she still expressed her desire to go home every day. It wasn't until we were leaving for the airport, that she said, "I DON'T want to go home!! She cried inconsolably at the thought of leaving her cousins, and favorite aunt. This picture was taken as she and Nova were saying goodbye.

Audrey asked me yesterday when we could go back to see her cousins in Utah. I told her that I hope we can return soon.

Thanks Nova, for giving us such a warm welcome, and making your home a wonderful, inviting place!!

6 comments:

Graton said...

Thank you Nova for your wonderful hospitality! I sure got a lot done during those three weeks.

I missed you girls so much while you were gone but was glad that you were having such a marvelous time.

novidiac said...

Valerie, I totally get "feeling eulogized!"... but at least I'm still alive to set the record straight here!
* instead of "knowledgeable" it should read "know it all, except for when to stop talking!"
* instead of "amazing -- bikeride" it should read "knows no limits and refuses to accept them if there are any" Poor Alyssa needed a nap and my backside isn't much of a pillow!
* "yummy food"... I've had complaints that my guests leave with a few extra pounds! I do cook a fair bit... now if I could just clean that much....

P.S. I'd happily fight over boyfriends with if you think our husbands wouldn't mind.... we might have to stick to picking 'best heart throbs' from the chick flicks!

P.P.S You better come back and finish all those projects... once you get home you get wrapped up in all those mundane tasks! besides we miss the girls.. (Hurry up and move back!)

P.P.P.S I don't think I could make it through another of Audrey's farewells... It was all I could do to get to the car before I was a teary mess!

Valerie said...

Nova,

I'll forgive you for the extra pounds, as I've been able to lose a couple of them. (Thanks to mundane tasks and boring food). Wish I had a photo of Alyssa sacked out on your bum :) We could fight Channa for James Marsden, although I think I'm sappy enough to prefer his character in "Enchanted" to the one in "27 dresses." Alyssa says to tell you she misses the "buppies." I took her to the petting zoo on Tuesday, and as soon as she walked in the paddock she said, "Hi... Buppies!" And proceeded to pet every goat in sight. (She and Paige would get along splendidly). However, trouble started when the zookeeper brought out a bunny for the kids to pet. Alyssa is now under the impression that all bunnies belong to her, as evidenced by her pushing away the other kids' hands, with a loud, "MINE!" She sure loved her crib-side view of the rabbit cages.

Anne said...

So sweet. The goodbye pic made me tear up. You are really lucky to have such a great family (in-laws included of course).

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

It's so nice that you have a sis-in-law that you have so much fun with. I was so sad when Kate and Joseph broke up. I cried the whole week. (I was in Russia at the time. It was very memorable).

janet said...

How lucky are you to have such great in-laws? There is family that you love to visit with, and then there is FAMILY that you feel comfortable crashing with for weeks at a time! So glad you guys had fun. I still feel bad we weren't able to come and visit you while we were so close in proximity!