Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Matchmaker, Matchmaker

This is Rob


He can slice up a mean watermelon.


He's great with kids.


And one of the sweetest, most genuine guys you'll ever meet.

Rob was a former classmate of Graton's at BYU and also in the UCSD Econ program. One day I asked Rob what he was looking for in a future wife. And though I don't remember exactly what he said, I was pretty sure he described my friend Audrey to a "T."

This is Audrey.


Audrey was my mission companion in Paris. When I first arrived in France, what I desired most was a great relationship with my trainer. Missionaries sometimes referred to their trainers as "Mama" or "Papa" and often they were very much like a parent to a new missionary. You learn everything from your trainer, the language, the culture, and how to love and serve the people you are working among.

Unfortunately, my trainer and I never really gelled. She wasn't thrilled to be training a new missionary right before returning home, she'd really loved her former companion, and was sorry to see her go, and our personalities were very different. We tried hard, but we really struggled to get along. After 3 months, my mission president transferred me to Paris, to give me a fresh start, and from the moment I stepped off the train and met Audrey, everything changed for the better.

One week after I was transferred to Paris, my mission president said, "Soeur Munns, you look so happy!" "I am, President!" I replied. "It's the difference of being loved and not," he remarked. And it was.

(The picture taken the day the President made his insightful comment)

Audrey and I served together for four months. She then returned home, and I completed my mission. She changed the trajectory of my mission, and the rest of my time in France was very happy and fulfilling.

We saw each other at BYU off and on, and then she moved to the east coast to work as a producer for the "Early Show." I don't think we'd seen each other for 10 years, and hadn't kept in touch much. But when Rob expressed his desire for a sweet, affectionate, and kind-hearted wife, I knew exactly who fit the bill.

It took almost a year for them to meet. Audrey had a boyfriend at the time I first emailed her about Rob in January 2008. After Audrey was no longer in a relationship, I'd tried to swap emails for them, but it never took. However, I figured Audrey and Rob would both be in Utah over Christmas to visit their families. I hated to be a nag, but I sent them both emails encouraging them to meet, and decided I'd leave them alone after that.

Rob being the fantastic catch that he is, was already slated to be set up with 8 girls over his Christmas vacation. We may not live in a Jane Austen novel, and women certainly have more to do than play matchmaker these days. However, it's hard to resist when one has such admiration for the character of one's single friends, and desires for them to know the conjugal bliss that one has experienced.

Rob admitted to me later, that going out with Audrey was last on his list, but in order to avoid offending me, he dutifully called her 3 days before he was to return to San Diego.

They instantly hit it off, and spent alot of time together those three days, ultimately deciding that living 3000 miles away was too great a barrier, and parting as friends. However, on returning to their respective homes, they rethought their decision, and found a way to make it work.

Audrey flew out to San Diego a few times, much to my delight, and our friendship was quickly rekindled. And when we accepted a job in D.C., where she was currently living, I was excited for the opportunity to hang out more often.

Unfortunately for me, our time spent in the same part of the country was to be short-lived. Soon after Rob and Graton arrived in DC after their cross-country road trip (the girls and I flew), he proposed. They were married, saturday, september 19th in the Salt Lake Temple.

Audrey and I have swapped towns, and we once again live on opposite parts of the country. But my loss is bittersweet. I have the great happiness of contributing to the joy of two wonderful people. And the hope that we may someday live closer together.

Congratulations Rob and Audrey!! We're so happy for you!!!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Linn said...

Happy, happy, happy! Jacob mentioned Rob was engaged and we were thrilled for him! Now I know the other part of the story. Awesome for sure! And congratulations to both of them. Thanks for sharing Valerie!

Anne said...

Good work, Val. I think that's awesome. Just another thing we have in common...all of my brothers served their missions in France. Once was in Paris from Fall 1997-Fall 1999. Probably before your time, but it's still a small world.

Elizabeth said...

What an awesome story! I thought Sr. Wood was so cool. Do you remember when we got to stay at your place for zone conference? Great memories!

Ann-Marie said...

I'm Audrey's sister-in-law, and so touched by your post and grateful for your matchmaking skills! You were missed at the wedding, and mentioned on several occasions. Way to go!!!

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Wow Audrey is a hottie! And your matchmaking skills are impressive!

Leslie said...

What a neat story, Valerie. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany Archibald said...

I don't even know these guys, but wow, what a great story.

The Conductor said...

Wow, what a story. Did you name your Audrey after her? (And now she should name her firstborn after YOU!) I have a special affinity for matchmakers...Neal and I were set up on a blind date 11 years ago today! (Oops, well, yesterday. I am up a bit late tonight. Making use of the "extra hour of sleep" I guess?)