Friday, October 30, 2009

The Finger of Suspicion......

A Halloween mystery......

Consider the facts:

1) Audrey had a skittles bag with half its contents remaining. Considering my daughters' cavity history, this was a rare treat, and I'm not entirely convinced that they had ever tasted skittles before this occasion.

2) The girls were allowed one skittle a piece.

3) The skittle bag was placed in a fancy box out of sight.

4) Graton, Audrey, and I ate dinner.

5) Alyssa didn't eat dinner.

6) Instead, she ran around in circles, singing, "doody, doody, doody" at the top of her lungs.

7) Alyssa continued to be hyper as we attempted to play a game after dinner. She kept tickling Audrey, and acted as if she were auditioning for "Miss Toddler Congeniality of Northern Virginia."

8) Audrey went to check on her skittles, only to discover an empty bag.

Forensic data revealed:


1) No clues on the skittles bag itself.

2) Crime scene investigation failed to recover the stolen skittles, nor reveal any further clues as to their whereabouts.

3) When questioned about the fate of said skittles, Alyssa opened her mouth and pointed inside of it.

4) Breath analysis revealed a distinct scent of skittles.

Although evidence is technically inconclusive, the jury agreed that candy should be placed out of reach of our prime suspect in the future.

6 comments:

Graton said...

Audrey (to Me): "Dad, can I get another bag of Skittles since Alyssa ate mine?"
Me: "I have solution. Let's declare tomorrow a special day when all the adults in the whole country will give the kids all the candy they want."
Audrey: "Okay. How are we going organize that?"
Me: "It just so happens..."

Anne said...

You crack me up. I wish I lived by you.

Linn said...

That post was the best (a girl after my own heart!) and then Graton's comment just made it that much better. You guys are fantastic!

novidiac said...

Channa and I were laughing hysterically.

Then we read Sparky's comment as he tried to take credit for inventing Halloween???

Audrey can come trick or treat at our house. It just so happens that we're handing out skittles!!

Andrew said...

Brilliantly written!!
I just put up a post...you might not want to miss this one.

I think I like Alyssa very much... I think Graton's conversation with Audrey is equally brilliant!!

The Conductor said...

Classic post; classic follow-up comment!

I love these early opportunities to prove to your children that parents really do know everything.