Monday, October 26, 2009

Hidden Pond Nature Classes

We've really been enjoying our weekly homeschooling nature classes at "Hidden Pond." So far we've attended their "pond and stream," "insects and spiders," "birds," and "trees and leaves" classes. Brian, the instructor, is fabulous, and I love how hands on his classes are. These pictures are from the first class, where we first fell in love with this beautiful place, and cemented our desire to become naturalists.

We figured the class would take place inside the building. We were pretty shocked, when Brian handed us nets and told us to go see what we could find in the pond! All of the classes have had a great mix of formal instruction and exploration.


On the way to the pond, we saw this cute fawn.

Looking for insects and fish.



Audrey tried several locations on the dock and shore.

She didn't have any luck catching anything, unless you count this dragonfly that alit on her cap.

The kids put the various insects and water life in these containers, and Brian identified them for us. We learned about mosquito fish, dragon fly larva, water spiders, etc..

Then we traipsed through the forest to some streams, to see the differences in the water life that live in streams versus ponds.

Brian is our instructor, but there are also two pre-teen homeschooling girls that volunteer as assistants. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with homeschooling long term, but one advantage of doing so, is that Audrey would have time and opportunity to be involved in community service that aligns with her passions!


4 comments:

Anne said...

I can't believe you got that close to a fawn. What a cool day.

Nadia said...

That is one great day ;-) So much to do around here and we are so lucky to be here!!!!! I would go as far as make a silly prediction about Audrey. She is going to grow up and become.... well somethingto do very cool with animals and nature. When I am old, I will call her and she will be kind enough to tell me differences between this and that ;-)

Andrew said...

It looks so fun, I love it when kids get so excited about those simple things and I love it when their eyes lit up in wonderment.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Man I thought my childhood was good. This is so much better!