Friday, July 27, 2012

Huntley Meadows: Early Spring 2012


Yesterday Graton called me as I was just stepping outside my door. "Where are you?" he asked. "Just outside in our courtyard" was my reply. "Oh, sounds like you're in an aviary." And it does. Which is one reason I like Virginia. So many birds.

I was looking at a pamphlet that said, "Birds seen at Cameron Run" which is just a tiny little (man made?)  lake in the middle of a townhome complex. I would have guessed a few ducks might have been spotted there. The list had about 40 different types of birds. Somehow they like it here, even in the concrete jungle.

One winter, I went out and took a walk around the grass park behind the apt. buildings. The snow was knee deep. (The most snow in recorded history for this area). The park was full of Canada Geese. I decided to count and gave up at 100. They were everywhere.

This spring the girls took a nature class at "Huntley Meadows." I was able to slip out and take walks during their classes. I loved just sitting and watch a duck preen itself, the redwing blackbirds jump from cattail to cattail. The majestic Great Blue Herons prance around the marsh. And I felt connected with God and nature in a profound and refreshing way.

The marsh begins awakening..



Red-Winged Blackbird in the foreground. I love their song.


Turtles


Great Blue Heron 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gina said...

Love this post. I am unfortunately pretty good at zoning things out. Sometimes it comes in handy; other times, it means I don't notice things like birds. It is a loss.