Our friends Kate and Steve live in Boston where Ducklings is set and, by coincidence, they recently sent us these pictures of the park depicted in the story and the statue of the fabled duck family.

Audrey's favorite of the McCloskey stories by far is the The Doughnuts, a story about Homer Price and his uncle's automatic doughnut machine that won't stop.
On the umpteenth night of reading Doughnuts, Audrey asked "When can we make doughnuts?" The answer: the following Sunday! We had a lot of fun, and the doughnuts were delicious (thanks Cooks Illustrated).
On a subsequent reading, it dawned on me that I knew where we could see a real doughnut machine in action. We waited for one of those mornings when both girls were up way too early and then headed off to Krispy Kremes!

...the rings of batter kept right on dropping into the hot fat, and an automatic gadget kept right on turning them over, and another automatic gadget kept right on giving them a little push, and the doughnuts kept right on rolling down the little chute, just as regular as a clock can tick.


3 comments:
Valerie, I tagged you. Go to my blogsite to find out what this means. :) The doughnut making looks like a blast-and the doughnuts don't look bad either!
Now THAT is a great homeschooling lesson!! this is the kind of thing I want to be doing (and eating!) What lucky girls you have!
Sounds fun! I wish I liked doughnuts. Unfortunately the thought of them makes me nauseous. =(
Post a Comment