Friday, September 04, 2009

Stories in art


The National Gallery of Art offered a wonderful, free summer program called, "Stories in Art." We were so lucky to attend these classes with our friends Sonia and Peyton!



The gathering area is called the "rotunda." So lovely.



The docents did a fabulous job. They were really engaging and helped the children explore the artwork in depth. Then they would read a story relating to the theme, and provide an art project.

I claimed that the docents did a fabulous job, but that is only based on what I was able to hear of the three events, which totalled about 4.6 seconds. This due to the fact, that Alyssa learned a clever new trick. "When Mom sits down and looks interested in the presentation, all I have to do is open my mouth, scream loudly, and she'll take me somewhere else." Although I missed out on most of the program, I did get to admire some art in other rooms.


Notice the easel set in the foreground. When we first arrived, we were able to observe an artist copying the painting. It was so amazing to see the skill this woman had in making a replica.

At the end of the activity, there were big rectangles of butcher paper taped to the floor, for the students to complete their projects.


After our first visit we were able to take a peek at the NGA's "The Art of Power" exhibit. Boy, was the armor they wore back then, heavy!!

"The Star Wars Tunnel." Actually, I don't really know what it's called, but that's what it felt like. It connects the East and West Wings of the NGA.

If the children attended three classes, they got a prize. It turned out to be a canvas tote with markers and stickers to decorate. Audrey loved it, and is eagerly anticipating next summers' program.

5 comments:

Nadia said...

I hope next summer we will be a little more legal ;-) We had so much fun this summer!!!! Next summer my baby will probably learn that trick from Alyssa ;-) or naturally come up with it on her own!!! I am so glad you moved to VA and we get a chance to spend sometime togeter.

Leslie said...

What a neat program -- sounds like you had a great time! P.S. the chain mail is so you!

kate said...

I love the NGA! One of my favorite places to spend an afternoon. Looks like you are having lots of great adventures - glad you guys are enjoying all the DC area has to offer!

The Conductor said...

This looks fascinating. My kids know Alyssa's trick all too well (dangit)! Glad it doesn't keep you from doing such fantastic activities.

shannon said...

I am so homesick for DC right now! How great you're really taking advantage of all it has to offer!