Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fish 2

This little fish takes after her mother. Water athletics was an acquired taste. I could take Audrey to the beach or pool, as a small child with no fears that she would fling herself in the water.This is in sharp contrast to Fish 1, who we've purposely let sink to the bottom of the pool, to try and instill some sort of caution, only to discover by the smile on her face (have you ever seen a child smile underwater as they are sinking to the bottom of the pool?) that our efforts were fruitless. Fish 1 never had any fear, but Fish 2 has learned to conquer hers.


First Forays on the Diving Board

Thanks to The Learning Choice Academy, our fabulous charter school in CA, who shared some of their federal funds with their homeschooling families, we were able to get private swim lessons for her.

The teachers at the La Jolla YMCA really built her confidence, and it was great to have a pool this summer to help her practice her new skills.

We sure enjoyed swimming together as a family this summer. Despite being a born and bred Californian, I think I got my first real tan here in Virginia. How many more months until our pool reopens in June?

3 comments:

novidiac said...

I loved going swimming every Saturday evening for 8 years in our other house. Odd how we just stopped when we moved... best was that once summer ended the indoor pool sufficed until they opened the outdoor pool again!

I'd probably live in the pool all summer if it was part of my housing complex too! Way too much fun for your little fishies!

Anne said...

Funny how 2 kids with the same parents can be so different.

Teachinfourth said...

Ah, swimming...