Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Homeschool Co-op


We've been fortunate to join a co-op with 4 other girls Audrey's age. The girls meet every Friday morning, and the Mom's take turns hosting. I've hosted twice now, and though it's a bit exhausting, I really enjoy the chance to delve into a subject, and Audrey loves being able to have her friends come to her house.



I chose Columbus Day for the first time I hosted, and really enjoyed researching the subject. I learned alot. For instance, Columbus didn't really discover America (Leif Eriksen did apparently). Columbus never actually stepped foot on the mainland of the Americas, and never knew that he had indeed discovered a new land (not India).



We started off with circle time, where we did a welcome song, "show and tell" (their favorite part), discussed the Columbus Day holiday using a calendar, and read books about Columbus Day. Then we did an art project using paint, clay, glue, etc..


The "Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria."


The girls enjoyed some free play time while everyone was finishing up the art project.

Then lunch....


And P.E. (Duck, Duck, Goose. The girls came up with variations, "flower, flower, tree, etc...)

Audrey was excited to introduce her friends to what she's termed, "The Insect Zoo" aka the basement, where they had fun catching crickets.

Then more games and activities until their parents came to pick them up. It's been fun seeing what topics other Moms choose, and has given us ideas to use in our learning activities at home.

4 comments:

mum said...

thanks for a another day in the life of audrey and valerie...

Im soon to write a story about a columbus day in 1962.. remind me to share....

Anne said...

I LOVE the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. You are so creative! It looks like the co-op is a perfect fit for you and Audrey. :)

kim said...

That sounds so great (and exhausting, yes! At least it means you get three weeks off!) We are going to have to look into something like that for next year, if we keep going with this, because I just don't feel like we're spending enough time with kids that she can really get to know them. One hour a week just isn't enough.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

How fun! I love the flower flower tree tree. These are girls are so cute!