It all started when I attended stake conference a few months ago. (An LDS meeting consisting of several local congregations). I thought I recognized a familiar face and it turned out to be this guy:
John, and his wife Anne were in our ward (congregation) 8 years ago when we lived in the Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego. We lost touch with them a year later, when we moved to student housing in La Jolla. Anne told me that another family from that ward was also in the DC area.
Chaoyi and Andrew are some of my favorite people. Chaoyi let me come hang out with her kids when I was lonely, and Andrew did acupuncture and massage on my back, one time that I hurt it. He also has a beautiful voice and I was able to accompany him in church one time as well.
Anne gave me Chaoyi's blog address and Chaoyi invited us all for Thanksgiving dinner. It was so fun to see everyone again! Anne and I were childless at the time, but now have two kids close to the same age. She also is going to homeschool, so it's been fun having that in common.
From Left to Right: Anne, Jade, Aspen (Chaoyi's two oldest daughters), Chaoyi.
The spread. Everything was so delicious!!
My contribution. I saw this in a "Taste of Home" magazine a few years ago, and was excited for the opportunity to make it. I'm not the crafty type, in general, but once in a while, something catches my eye, and I get the "crafty bug." My lack of skills can make the realization of my projects frustrating, but despite the pitfalls, I was still able to pull this one off. My grandmother used to make "vegetable boquets" as centerpieces, so it was fun to try something similar."
Graton made rolls and cranberry relish, which were really yummy.
The grown-up table
The kids table. The Fishers's were pretty brave, hosting three couples, (they also invited a nice couple from their area), with 9 children total. It was noisy, but lots of fun!
One of the things I love about Chaoyi, is she pretty much always says what's on her mind. It's very refreshing. She is so kind, and open, and welcoming! It's kind of funny that she has been here to welcome me through two big transitions in my life. That first year in San Diego was probably the worst year of my life. I really missed being a student, my health failed, and I had to quit my job. That year was very painful both physically and emotionally for me. Luckily, this transition to the east coast has been eaiser than anticipated, but I think our first Thanksgiving far from family may have been lonely. The anticipation of meeting up with The Fishers and the Isoms helped distract me from being homesick.
These "coincidences" are just further evidence to me of the loving, watchful care of my Heavenly Father.
"God does watch over us and does notice us, but it usually through someone else that he meets our needs."
— Spencer W. Kimball
"God does watch over us and does notice us, but it usually through someone else that he meets our needs."
— Spencer W. Kimball
Thanks Chaoyi, for being an instrument in his hands!

5 comments:
That's awesome. I'm glad you've been reconnected with friends. Also, you should let the crafty bug get you more often. You've got skills!
I know what you mean about your first Thanksgiving back east. When we moved to New Jersey I didn't know anyone within 200 miles but fortunately my childhood friend, Mardel Smith, lived right beyond that. I called her up and asked if we could come on down. She said YES and we were so happy to have someone to spend the holiday with. Especially since we'd only been there for about 2 weeks and felt very displaced. Thank heavens for our friends who become our family when we're far far away.
What a fun group from the S.D. 1st ward!!!If you could pass along Choayi info that would be great!!And Anne was in the same apartment complex as me for awhile! It seems like that was allmost a different life time ago that we were all in San Diego. It was fun to read this post and see pics.
ha ha ha, i see you did "fix" the picture. though, I still look a little tired... Thanks for your sweet thought, you are so kind. I am glad you embrace my weakness and making it sound good.
It was so fun to hang out, let's do it again!
That is the best looking and i am sure tasting veggie turkey I have seen ever!!!
Post a Comment