Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowed In


This weekend a new record for snowfall in December was set with a snowstorm of 2 feet! We were thrilled! I see no point in it being cold and grey without the magic of snow. So far I've lucked out weather wise. We had a much milder summer than is typical, and now a more snowy winter. Hooray!!

"I don't like it be cold, but I like it be snowing!"

Eight years of living in Utah, and I'm not sure I've ever made a snow angel. I also don't think I've ever been snowed in. So in some ways this weekend was a first for me. The girls had seen snow before in Utah and my Dad's cabin, but somehow having it snow at our own home, made it all the more magical.


At first I was disappointed that so much was cancelled: one of my orchestra performances, the ward Christmas party, church (where Audrey was to sing a solo). Graton was planning on working this weekend, so he can get a draft of his dissertation to his committee on Christmas morning. Instead we were all stuck at home.

But, we soon fell in love with this "snowed-in" thing. We cooked, we played, we cleaned, we cuddled, we read books, and just enjoyed the wonderful freedom of being together with no place to go, and no pressures of time. It was a wonderful respite in a busy holiday season, and I think we need to impose snow days on ourselves on a regular basis.

It wasn't all fun and games. Graton and Audrey spent 3 hours on Sunday helping neighbors shovel out their cars. But they loved the sense of community and togetherness they felt all working together. In some ways it really brought the Christmas spirit.

"Look, Mom. An icicle!

Wish we could be with family over the holidays. But at least will have a white Christmas!!


3 comments:

Graton said...

Beautiful post, Love. It's hard to imagine how Christmas can top such a fun weekend. See you soon!

Anne said...

What a magical day! And, could Graton be any sweeter writing such nice comments for you. Way to snag him up, Valerie.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Cute pic of Audrey and the icicle!