
To prepare for my homeschooling co-op, I checked out several books on the changing on seasons. I learned that there are lots of good children's books about "fall" in the world. But this was my favorite one, by far.
Whilst, this SEEMS like a book on a little yellow leaf, it actually could have been otherwise titled, "How Valerie Munns finally took the plunge."

This book starts with a little leaf that is afraid to let go and fall like all of the other leaves. It wants to take the next step, and fulfil the measure of its creation, but it's not ready. Sort of like a BYU co-ed, who despite having gone on dates with over 100 different nice young men, still hasn't found the one who could induce her to let go, and give herself fully.

This little yellow leaf hung on through the winter alone, and the BYU coed, watched her friends, roommates, and past boyfriends all graduate and get married, until she reached her mid-20s, and could only find 19-year-olds girls to room with, and younger men to date.
Then the little yellow leaf looks up and sees there is one more leaf on her tree. A little red leaf. "You still here?" she asks. "I am," he answers.
And Valerie met up again with a wonderful young man she'd met 8 years before, and had crossed paths with on and off over the years. As they got to know each other better, they realized how much they had in common, and discovered that they wanted the same things out of life. And Valerie fell very much in love.
"Will you?" asks the red leaf. "I will!" says the little yellow leaf.
Then the little yellow leaf looks up and sees there is one more leaf on her tree. A little red leaf. "You still here?" she asks. "I am," he answers.
And Valerie met up again with a wonderful young man she'd met 8 years before, and had crossed paths with on and off over the years. As they got to know each other better, they realized how much they had in common, and discovered that they wanted the same things out of life. And Valerie fell very much in love.
"Will you?" asks the red leaf. "I will!" says the little yellow leaf.

"And one, two, three, they let go and soared...."

7 comments:
That is so sweet! I love it :]
That is awesome.
I was sick with fewer, snuggled in your bed with Feo and half asleep when I heard you read this story to the girls. I coudn't help thinking.. .wow, you read it so well, with feeling. It all makes sence now ;-)
So beautiful!
This is beautiful! You two leaves were definitely meant to soar together.
Love this. I still remember the first night I met the two of you... not quite engaged. I enjoyed your story so much and could just FEEL the love you had for each other.
Awesome reply from the author, too!
That is a beautiful story Valerie. Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment