Monday, February 21, 2011

Music and Dancing

No Munns family gathering would be complete without:

Music and Dancing!

 
It was so fun to relive my childhood as I watched my daughter and nieces/nephew dancing to the magic of my father's music! As a child I loved these musical evenings and as a college student, the best cure for loneliness was to play one of my father's recordings.

 
I've been teaching Audrey piano, and was excited for her to show her grandpa what she's learned. She loves Christmas carols, and had memorized quite a few, so she played them for him. To my surprise, he played right along side her, improvising accompaniments. The "piece de resistance" of their impromptu concert was "Yankee Doodle." They played it several times in succession, each time going a little faster and using the transposing function on the keyboard; turning Audrey's little 5-finger melody, into a heady whirlwind, "Flight of the Bumblebee" style.



After the kids were in bed, we stayed up well into the night watching you tube videos on my grandmother's new apple TV: "Improv Anywhere," "Laurel and Hardy," "Ok, Go," it became a game of "Have you seen this one?"
 
It was one of those rare evenings, that will be, as President Monson says, "a June rose" in the "December" of my life.


2 comments:

Anne said...

You are having a "December" in your life? Call me.

Valerie said...

That's so sweet, Anne, I'm actually doing well now, just thinking these are precious memories for hard times or old age :)