The "Telestial Kitchen": A story in three parts:
Part 1: I had mentally prepared myself for a smaller apt. I knew the closets were tiny, and the space was small and awkward. But, I was not prepared for the kitchen. See the kitchen cabinets? That's all there is. Notice there are two very narrow drawers. Not even wide enough for my silverware cady.
Part 2: I knew that at some point during the move, I was going to have an emotional breakdown. Something would finally unleash the tears and emotions of change. I hadn't suspected it would be a kitchen. I was unpacking my breadmaker, juicer, food processor, and realizing there was no way they'd fit in this kitchen, and the floodgates opened. Graton came in to find me sobbing hysterically.
Part 3: Graton took me to a magical place called "Ikea," where they sell things for people who live in shoeboxes like us. Things that make small spaces functional. We didn't buy anything, but saw a fresh ray of hope on the horizon. Many days have been spent in planning and dreaming.
The other side of the kitchen. I'm trying to find reasons that I like getting on all fours to use my microwave. It keeps me flexible? At least I'm not pregnant? Ikea sells a wonderful freestanding countertop that we will put against this wall, and have some space to prepare food. And even put the microwave.

8 comments:
Love the pictures of your house! And why in the world am I seeing this post and the jet plane post in webdings font? What am I missing--except reading your great writing. :)
Linn,
The webdings font looks great on my monitor, but I just checked my post on the laptop, and it's hard to read.I've been trying to find a font that's easy to read. What font would you recommend?
It looks like a nice apartment in a beautiful, peaceful location. The kitchen in my house isn't any bigger than yours. What I miss is counter space (and I don't have room to put in a free-standing counter).
But I do like having a well-organized, compact space to work in. And we did buy things at Ikea, like spice racks and a pot lid rack that hangs inside the cupboard door and the magnetic knife strip to free up cabinet and counter top space.
I'm sure you'll settle in and make it work well. I hope you enjoy the process of transforming it to make it your own.
Love the apartment. Love your attitude. Can you come live with me?
I am seriously missing something because I don't see words, I see pictures for each word. But it looks like it is only me, so I'll just be happy with the pictures. Seriously, I guess I am losing it.
I'm having the same problem as Linn--its weird because on my google reader, I can see words, but just the first few lines, so then, I come into the actual post to see the rest, and it all turns into the webdings font. What font are you using? Maybe its just certain operating systems that make it show up as symbols?
The other weird thing is that it isn't all your posts. I don't know if its just the most recent one that I can read, or if its just certain posts, but this has happened the last 2 days--whatever the most recent post has been has been readable, but the other new ones aren't. Very strange. . .
But I love the pics of your place!
It looks so much brighter and sunnier than your last place though! Isn't Ikea wonderful? Good luck with the light colored carpet!!! Hopefully Alyssa doesn't ruin it :)
Love your new place! Thanks for sharing. Also making me a little homesick for DC. Hope you're settling in well!
PS Also seeing pictures instead of words on some posts.
Post a Comment