Graton had the fabulous idea of hosting a birthday party at Hidden Pond, our favorite nature center. We were thrilled to find out they did indeed allow birthday parties for an amazingly low price. Audrey chose the "reptiles and amphibians" class. Brian did a fantastic job helping the children learn about and experience the center's collection of frogs, turtles, and snakes.
One attendee's mother laughed about the fact that Audrey wore her customary khakis, while Alyssa came adorned in a pretty party outfit. All I can say, is I wanted SOMEONE to wear a party outfit, and it made sense to dress up the little girl who loves dressing up :) Audrey and I compromise by her wearing a clip in her hair. I'm also looking for a cute bracelet to go with the khakis.
The Eastern Black Rat Snake. Probably the same snake we found in our basement apartment this summer, but luckily it was much smaller. I don't know if I would have kept my cool if it had been this size!
I don't know if I'll ever get used to how comfortable Audrey is with bugs and reptiles. I've heard other mothers talk about how they don't want to transmit their insect phobias to their children. I felt the same way, and although I have been able to supress the desire to jump on a chair and scream every time I saw a spider, in favor of calmly moving it to a cup and taking it outside (unless Graton was home, in which case, I wouldn't go near it), my guess is that Audrey's "sang froid" is innate, and not inherited. She has yet to be successful in convincing me to hold insects for pleasure, and though I did hold a smaller snake, I wasn't about to wrap this one around my neck.
Me holding a much smaller snake.

After the class, we had some refreshments. Veggies, fruit, crackers and cheese...
And cupcakes with green glitter and gummy frogs.
We were so glad to have our new friends from church, the neighborhood, and the homeschooling community join us. Audrey was especially excited that her sunday school teacher came, which was so sweet of her.
Alyssa wasn't sure why there weren't any gifts for her, but contented herself with the goodie bags of plastic balls and reptiles.

Alyssa wasn't sure why there weren't any gifts for her, but contented herself with the goodie bags of plastic balls and reptiles.
One of the best parts for me was that Graton got a glimpse into our "world." He was able to see why we love Hidden Pond so much, and was able to meet our homeschool friends.


6 comments:
I'm afraid we grew up with birthday party planning in our blood!
And as for ballerina parties... Sparky prepped for that when he was a young lad too... taking ballet with me!
Audrey's haircut is sweet. looks like the best birthday ever for sure!
FYI... your next SLC visit we'll have to take Audrey to Channa's neighbours. they work for the hogle zoo and have a basement reptile room right next door to Channa. Coop and Derek love to go visit them!
Dear Graton,
Please plan every party I will be in charge of for the rest of my life. Thank you.
Anne
what a nature girl ! and what a party.. location parties were in our family history.. not commercai sights in those days..tho
i'd have them at the beach a pirate party and go the night before and bury a treasure box in the sand ! do pirate maps etc an d then a weiner roast . Costumes were ready for the guests...
or we'd climb a mountain and have the party on mt tolmie. packing our party lunch with us..
or go to a park and have a track meet style party. sack races etc. ribbons etc..
little girls , would make party hats with paper plates doilies and ribbons etc. or leaded glass jewelry boxes or or or
outdoors was best for little boys parties...
girls i was able to have 20 25 in the house and do some kind of project ..
but the old story of girls and curls boys and noice an d lots of rambuntious movement !
this was a great party for Audry and a great idea for nature girl !
thanks for sharing.. watch for a 40's file blog on family birthdays...
happy birthday Audrey love grandma .
yep, i can tell Graton is a very involved Dad when he was at my house.
Looks so much fun, I am impressed, Graton. How much do you charge per hour?
Well that is a piece of information I wish I had known a few years ago. Graton is a party planner. Awesome. And what a great party it turned out to be!
Post a Comment