Children have an amazing capacity of showing us our weaknesses.
Two examples from our household this week:
Audrey (after I barked at her for removing the knobs from the kitchen cabinets)
"Trouble is, I'm always getting yelled out around here!"
Alyssa (playing with her rubber ducks in the bath)
Mother Rubber Duck: "No you can't"
Baby Rubber Ducks: "Please, please, please....
Mother Rubber Duck: "O-kay."
Although my kids do exhibit some behaviors that they didn't learn from me, it's humbling to see my own faults and inconsistencies reflected in their behavior.
As painful as they are, I'm grateful for these little glimpses. They help me know what to focus on, and what to change.
I may not win the "Most Fantastic Parent Ever" award, but with the Lord's help, perhaps I can achieve, "Most Improved." :)
Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Yup! I hear ya!
I love your attitude.
the rubber ducky one cracks me up =)
I say you are pretty fantastic!!
I love this post!
I used to balk at those "Most Improved" awards...but then as I thought about it, they really mean more than the ones handed out for natural ability that has just always seemed to be there. This concept consumed me during my overwhelming years in music theory and performance classes at BYU among so many "naturals." I only hoped to improve!! I love your application of it to Motherhood. I will cling to that one. For sure.
Post a Comment